Australia, Pakistan resolve to boost cooperation to curb illegal immigration, ministry says

Pakistan's Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi waits at the field at the end of the Asia Cup 2025 Twenty20 international cricket final match between India and Pakistan at the Dubai International Stadium in Dubai on September 28, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 28 November 2025
Follow

Australia, Pakistan resolve to boost cooperation to curb illegal immigration, ministry says

  • The issue of illegal immigration has gained attention after arrest of Pakistanis with forged documents in recent years
  • Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi this month warned of strict action against officials illegally sending Pakistanis abroad

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and Australia have agreed to boost cooperation to curb illegal immigrations, the Pakistani interior ministry said on Friday, as Islamabad continues to crack down on illegal immigrants.

The statement came after Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi’s virtual meeting with his Australian counterpart Tony Burke, during which both ministers discussed matters of mutual interest and cooperation on security.

‎The issue of illegal immigration and its consequences have gained significant attention in Pakistan after the arrest of several Pakistani and foreign nationals at airports with forged documents in recent years.

Naqvi this month warned of strict action against officials involved in illegally sending Pakistani citizens abroad, directing that no passenger shall be allowed to travel without required documents.

“‎Both interior ministers agreed to enhance collaboration to prevent illegal immigration,” the Pakistani interior ministry said after Naqvi’s virtual meeting with his Australian counterpart.

“They also discussed the launch of training programs for police and paramilitary officers, and the possibilities of increased cooperation between Australian agencies and Pakistan’s National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) and the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA).”

During the meeting, Naqvi, who also heads the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), discussed the upcoming visit of the Australian cricket team to Pakistan and briefed his Australian counterpart on security arrangements for the team, according to the Pakistani interior ministry.

‎“‎Both interior ministers reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthening bilateral relations,” it added.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”