Pakistani military says four militants killed in operations across northwestern province

Army troops stand guard along a street in Kabal town of Swat Valley in Pakistan’s northwestern region of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on April 25, 2023. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 November 2025
Follow

Pakistani military says four militants killed in operations across northwestern province

  • Army attributes killings to intelligence-led operations as Islamabad faces rising militant attacks in KP province
  • Pakistan accuses Afghan- and India-linked networks of fueling violence, both nations deny the accusation

KARACHI: Pakistan’s military said on Wednesday four militants were killed in multiple operations across the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province this week, the latest in a series of security actions as Islamabad grapples with escalating violence along its border with Afghanistan.

The operations took place on Nov. 17–18 in Bajaur, North Waziristan and Dera Ismail Khan, areas that have seen a surge in attacks over the past two years. Pakistan has repeatedly accused the Pakistani Taliban (TTP) of using Afghan territory to plan and launch cross-border strikes, a charge Kabul denies. The increase in attacks has strained relations between the neighbors, with Islamabad urging Kabul to prevent militant sanctuaries on its soil.

The military also links the fighters to India, alleging they were part of “Indian-sponsored” networks operating in the region. New Delhi rejects such claims. 

In its statement, the military said troops had acted on intelligence reports and “effectively engaged the khwarij location,” referring to an ideological term the army uses for violent extremist groups. 

The army added that after an “intense fire exchange, one kharji was sent to hell.” The ISPR said weapons and ammunition were recovered from what it called the “Indian sponsored” militant.

According to the army, the first operation occurred in Bajaur district after reports of militant presence. Additional engagements took place in Spinwam and Zakir Khel in North Waziristan, while another encounter was reported in Dera Ismail Khan. Security forces said a sanitization operation was continuing in the wider area to locate any remaining militants.

The military said its counterterrorism efforts would continue “at full pace to wipe out menace of foreign sponsored and supported terrorism from the country.”

Pakistan launched a renewed counterterrorism campaign earlier this year under the Azm-e-Istehkam initiative, which aims to intensify intelligence-led actions by the military and law enforcement agencies. Officials say the uptick in operations comes as militant attacks have risen sharply since 2021, particularly in areas bordering Afghanistan where the Afghan Taliban came to power after the withdrawal of US and allied forces.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.