Pakistan police arrest hitman from banned sectarian militant group in Karachi raid

A policeman stops vehicles for searches along a road in Karachi, Pakistan, on November 12, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 18 November 2025
Follow

Pakistan police arrest hitman from banned sectarian militant group in Karachi raid

  • CTD says suspect confessed to killing police informers and a man targeted for sectarian reasons
  • Officials say arrest follows targeted shootings that have reignited sectarian tensions in Karachi

KARACHI: The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of Pakistan’s Sindh police said on Tuesday it had arrested an alleged hitman from the banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) militant outfit from Karachi, recovering weapons and exposing what officials described as a cell involved in the killing of police informers and sectarian attacks.

Suspect Ameen, also known as Manna, was detained along with three accomplices, according to the CTD, after officers acted on “secret information.” About 13 criminal cases have already been registered against the group in multiple police stations across Karachi, the department added.

LeJ, an extremist group accused of numerous sectarian attacks across Pakistan since the 1990s, has also been accused of assassinating law enforcement personnel and political rivals. Karachi has experienced episodic waves of sectarian violence, with militant factions targeting members of rival religious communities as well as police informers in densely populated neighborhoods.

“In view of the recent targeted killings in Karachi, including the killing of police informers and sectarian murders, the Counter Terrorism Department Sindh conducted intelligence-based operations in various areas of the city and continued to pursue the terrorists for their arrest,” the CTD said in a statement.

“Acting on secret information, we carried out an important intelligence-based operation and arrested target killer Ameen alias Manna,” the statement said, adding Ameen had also been jailed in the past for “terrorism offenses.”

During initial interrogation, the CTD said, he “revealed that he, along with his accomplices, had killed police informers in Orangi Town as well as a young man, Adil Hussain, in a sectarian killing.”

The arrests come as Karachi authorities confront renewed sectarian tensions.

In recent months, police have reported an uptick in targeted shootings attributed to long-running rivalries between banned outfits and splinter cells operating in the city’s western districts.

In a separate operation last month, the CTD detained two suspected members of the Iran-linked Zainabiyoun Brigade, banned by Islamabad in 2024 for activities deemed harmful to national security.

The suspects, identified as Israr Hussain Gilgiti and Masoom Raza, were accused of involvement in sectarian killings and allegedly received training in a “neighboring country,” according to CTD officials.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”