Israel says Gazans who landed in South Africa unexpectedly had third-country approval

Hanan Jarrar, Palestinian ambassador to South Africa, smiles for a picture on a plane in a location given as given as Johannesburg, South Africa, in this handout image released on November 13, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 16 November 2025
Follow

Israel says Gazans who landed in South Africa unexpectedly had third-country approval

  • South African President Cyril Ramaphosa told journalists on Friday that it seemed “like they were being flushed out”
  • South Africa’s home affairs ministry said 130 of the group entered the country, while the remaining 23 took onward flights to other destinations

JERUSALEM: Israeli authorities said on Saturday that 153 Palestinians who turned up unexpectedly in South Africa, triggering questions from its president, had received entry approval from an unnamed third country.
Shimi Zuaretz, a spokesman for COGAT, the Israeli body that runs civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, told AFP they had only been allowed to leave Gaza “after COGAT received approval from a third country to receive them.”
He did not name the country.
After landing in Johannesburg on Thursday, the Gazans were kept aboard their plane for 12 hours because they did not have departure stamps from Israel in their passports, South African border police said.
The home affairs ministry finally allowed the passengers to disembark when an NGO said it would provide them with accommodation.
The NGO, Gift of the Givers, told South African media it did not know who had chartered the flight or a previous one that brought 176 Gazans on October 28.
An Israeli official who did not wish to be identified told AFP that the organization which coordinated the transfer had submitted third-country visas to COGAT for all the evacuated residents.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa told journalists on Friday that it seemed “like they were being flushed out.”
“These are people from Gaza who somehow mysteriously were put on a plane that passed by Nairobi and came here,” he said.
South Africa’s home affairs ministry said 130 of the group entered the country, while the remaining 23 took onward flights to other destinations.
Zuaretz said COGAT facilitates the departure of Gaza residents through Israel to receiving countries, for patients requiring medical treatment, dual citizens and their family members, “or those possessing visas to third countries.”
Israel “bases its decisions solely on requests received from foreign countries,” he added, saying the departure of more than 40,000 Gaza residents had been facilitated since the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which sparked the retaliatory war in the Gaza Strip.
South Africa, which hosts the largest Jewish community in sub-Saharan Africa, has largely been supportive of the Palestinian cause.
The government filed a case against Israel with the International Court of Justice in 2023, accusing it of genocide in Gaza.
 

 


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al?Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al?Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben?Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.