Abrar Ahmed, Haris Rauf share six wickets but Sri Lanka reach 288 in ODI

Sri Lanka's Janith Liyanage (center) plays a shot during the second one-day international (ODI) cricket match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium in Rawalpindi on November 14, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 November 2025
Follow

Abrar Ahmed, Haris Rauf share six wickets but Sri Lanka reach 288 in ODI

  • Sri Lanka’s innings was held together by two strong middle-order stands worth 61 and 73 runs
  • The match in Rawalpindi was delayed by a day after Sri Lankan players voiced security concerns

RAWALPINDI: Pakistan bowlers Abrar Ahmed and Haris Rauf took three wickets each as Sri Lanka reached 288 for eight wickets in the second one-day international against Pakistan in Rawalpindi on Friday.

Spinner Abrar finished with 3-41 while pace bowler Rauf claimed 3-66 after Pakistan sent the tourists in to bat on a flat Rawalpindi pitch.

Janith Liyanage top-scored with a fighting 54, hitting a six and two fours.

Liyanage added 61 for the fifth wicket with Sadeera Samarawickrama, who made 42, and another 73 for the sixth with Kamindu Mendis, who scored 44.

Sri Lanka made a confident start of 51 before Pathum Nissanka was run out for 24 attempting a third run.

Abrar then derailed the innings with three wickets, removing Kamil Mishara for 27, Kusal Mendis for 20 and skipper Charith Asalanka for six in the space of 36 runs.

Rauf dismissed Samarawickrama and Kamindu to compensate for the absence of captain Shaheen Shah Afridi, who missed the match with a fever.

Wanindu Hasaranga chipped in with a brisk unbeaten 37 off 26 balls, adding 44 at the end with Pramod Madushan, who was 11 not out.

Pakistan lead the three-match series 1-0 after a six-run win in Tuesday’s opener, also in Rawalpindi.

The second ODI was delayed by a day after several Sri Lankan players considered abandoning the tour over security fears following Tuesday’s suicide bombing in Islamabad, just a few miles from the stadium.

But the Pakistan Cricket Board and Sri Lanka Cricket managed to convince the players to stay with enhanced security measures.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.