Pakistan, Saudi Arabia move to deepen defense ties under new security pact

Pakistan’s Chief of General Staff Lt. Gen. Syed Aamer Raza (left), shaking hands with Saudi Arabia's Chief of General Staff, General Fayyadh Bin Hameed Al-Rowaily, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, in a picture shared by the media wing of Pakistan Army on November 14, 2025. (ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 14 November 2025
Follow

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia move to deepen defense ties under new security pact

  • Pakistan’s chief of general staff meets top Saudi military leaders in Riyadh
  • Both sides review defense projects and explore tech-focused joint ventures

KARACHI: Pakistan’s Chief of General Staff Lt. Gen. Syed Aamer Raza met Saudi Arabia’s top military leadership in Riyadh to discuss expanding defense cooperation under a strategic framework between the two countries, the Pakistan military said on Friday.

The meeting came nearly two months after Pakistan and Saudi Arabia signed a joint defense security pact, pledging that an attack on one country would be treated as an attack on both.

The Strategic Mutual Defense Agreement was signed in September and further solidified decades of Saudi-Pakistan security cooperation covering areas such as intelligence-sharing, counterterrorism and regional stability.

“Lt. Gen. Syed Aamer Raza, Chief of General Staff (CGS) Pakistan Army, called on General Fayyadh Bin Hameed Al-Rowaily, Chief of General Staff, Royal Saudi Armed Forces, at Riyadh,” the military’s media wing, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), said in a statement.

“During the meeting, matters of mutual strategic interest were discussed, with a special focus on strengthening bilateral defense cooperation, enhancing interoperability and advancing collaboration under the Strategic Mutual Defense Agreement,” it added.

ISPR said both sides reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthen the longstanding relations contributing to regional stability and self-reliance.

A special session of the Pakistan-Saudi Bilateral Defense Industrial Forum was also held in Riyadh. The Pakistan tri-services delegation was led by Raza, while the Saudi side was headed by Assistant Minister of Defense for Executive Affairs Khalid Al Biyari.

“During the bilateral meet, both sides reviewed the progress of ongoing defense cooperation projects and discussed new avenues for joint ventures in emerging technologies in line with the Kingdom’s Vision 2030,” the statement said.

The Pakistani general reaffirmed his country’s support for the capacity-building of Saudi defense forces.

ISPR said Saudi officials also praised Pakistan’s “achievements and sacrifices in the fight against terrorism and vital contributions to regional peace and stability.”
 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”