US air travel could ‘slow to a trickle’ as shutdown bites: transport secretary

A United Airlines plane takes off from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) in San Francisco, California, Nov. 07, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 November 2025
Follow

US air travel could ‘slow to a trickle’ as shutdown bites: transport secretary

  • “The two weeks before Thanksgiving, you’re going to see air travel be reduced to a trickle,” transport secretary said
  • On Sunday morning, more than 1,330 cancelations were recorded for flights within the US and to and from the US

WASHINGTON: Air travel in the United States could soon “slow to a trickle,” authorities warned Sunday as thousands more flights were canceled or delayed and passengers faced chaos triggered by the federal government shutdown.
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said the number of flights being snarled or cut would multiply if the funding impasse between Democrats and Republicans continues while Americans gear up to travel for the Thanksgiving holiday later this month.
“It’s only going to get worse,” Duffy said on CNN’s “State of the Union,” a Sunday news talk show.
“The two weeks before Thanksgiving, you’re going to see air travel be reduced to a trickle.”
On Sunday morning, more than 1,330 cancelations were recorded for flights within the United States and to and from the US, according to data from FlightAware, a flight tracking platform.
Airports that were particularly hard hit included the three New York City area airports, Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, and Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.
Duffy warned that many Americans planning to travel for the November 27 holiday “are not going to be able to get on an airplane, because there are not going to be that many flights that fly if this thing doesn’t open back up.”

‘Massive disruption’

Sunday marked the 40th day of the record shutdown and the third day of flights being reduced at airports nationwide, after the Trump administration ordered reductions to ease strain on air traffic controllers working without pay.
“We’re going to see air traffic controllers, very few of them coming to work, which means you’ll have a few flights taking off and landing,” Duffy told Fox News Sunday.
“You’re going to have massive disruption (and) a lot of angry Americans.”
Duffy sought to blame Democrats for the high-stakes political standoff, but Senator Adam Schiff said Republicans were rejecting a “reasonable” compromise deal to end the shutdown.
“And the result from the Senate Republicans was ‘no,’ from the House Republicans ‘we are staying on vacation,’ and from the president ‘I’m going out to play golf,’ and that’s where we are while people are hurting,” Schiff said.
When asked whether Democrats would turn around and vote with Republicans, Schiff, a California Democrat, indicated that the issue of health care subsidies remained a sticking point in negotiations.

“No, I certainly hope it isn’t going to happen if millions of people are going to retain their health coverage and not have to pay these exorbitant premium increases,” Schiff said on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.”
“We need to end this. We proposed something, I think very reasonable. It was a compromise. Certainly wasn’t everything I want, which is a permanent extension of the tax credits,” he said, urging Republicans to allow “more time to work on this and reopen the government.”


Hungary to release 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from strategic reserves

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Hungary to release 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from strategic reserves

  • Croatia’s JANAF pipeline operator, however, said there was no need for Budapest to tap its reserves
  • Hungary and Slovakia have been trying to secure supply since flows were halted on January 27

BUDAPEST: Hungary’s government will release about 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from its strategic reserves after a drone attack on the Druzhba pipeline late last month stopped oil flow, according to a government decree published late on Thursday.
Croatia’s JANAF pipeline operator, however, said there was no need for Budapest to tap its reserves after Hungary’s oil company MOL said on Friday JANAF must allow transit of Russian seaborne oil to Hungary and Slovakia during the Druzhba outage.
“At this ⁠moment, a significant ⁠quantity of non-Russian crude oil is being transported via JANAF’s pipeline for MOL Group, while three additional tankers carrying non-Russian oil, also for MOL Group, are on their way to the Omisalj Terminal,” JANAF said in a statement.
“There was no need to tap into (their) reserves since oil transport via the JANAF pipeline toward MOL’s refineries is being carried out continuously and without ⁠delays.”
Hungary and Slovakia, which have the only remaining refineries in the EU using Russian oil through Druzhba, have been trying to secure supply since flows were halted on January 27 following what Ukraine said was a Russian drone attack that damaged pipeline infrastructure.
Both countries have blamed Ukraine for the delay in restarting the flows for political reasons.

SCRAMBLE FOR CRUDE SUPPLIES
MOL is entitled to priority access to released crude oil reserves, and it will have access to the freed reserves until April 15 and has to return them by August 24, the Hungarian government decree said.
At the end of January, ⁠Hungary had ⁠enough crude oil and petroleum product reserves to cover 96 days, according to data on the Hungarian Hydrocarbon Stockpiling Association’s website.
As the two countries scramble to ensure supplies, MOL ordered tankers delivering Saudi, Norwegian, Kazakh, Libyan and Russian oil to supply its Hungarian and Slovak refineries and halted diesel deliveries to Ukraine earlier this week.
MOL said that first shipments were expected to arrive at the port of Omisalj in Croatia in early March. After that, it will take a further 5-12 days for the crude oil to reach its refineries.
The Slovak government has also declared an oil emergency situation and has pledged to release 1.825 million barrels of oil following a request from Slovakia’s Slovnaft refinery, which is owned by MOL.