DAMASCUS: Syria has carried out nationwide pre-emptive operations targeting Daesh cells, a spokesperson for the Interior Ministry said on Saturday.
Syrian security forces carried out 61 raids, with 71 people arrested and explosives and weapons seized, the spokesperson told state-run Al Ekhbariya TV.
The raids come ahead of a trip by Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa to Washington to meet with US President Donald Trump and join an anti-Daesh US-led coalition.
The US State Department and Pentagon did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Washington is preparing to establish a military presence at an air base in Damascus to help enable a security pact that the US is brokering between Syria and Israel, six sources familiar with the matter
previously told Reuters.
A US administration official also previously said that Washington was constantly evaluating its necessary posture in Syria to effectively combat Daesh.
Syria carries out pre-emptive operations against Daesh cells
Short Url
https://arab.news/28shs
Syria carries out pre-emptive operations against Daesh cells
- Syrian security forces carried out 61 raids, with 71 people arrested
- The raids come ahead of a trip by Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa to Washington
Ex-diplomats defend UN Palestinians expert Francesca Albanese against France FM
- More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers urge Jean-Noel Barrot to retract ‘inaccurate’ comments about Albanese
- UN expert says claims she referred to Israel as a “common enemy” are completely false
PARIS: More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers on Wednesday urged France’s foreign minister to retract “inaccurate” comments about a UN expert on Palestinians rights who he wants to resign.
France and Germany have called for Francesca Albanese to step down over remarks in which she referred to a “common enemy of humanity” after criticizing “most of the world” and the media for enabling Israel’s “genocide” in Gaza.
Critics and Israel have accused the UN Special Rapporteur of referring to Israel as a “common enemy,” while Albanese has denounced this as a “manipulation” and “completely false.”
In response to a question about the comments, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot on February 11 told parliament she should step down.
In an open letter sent to AFP, the former diplomats criticized what they called “the use of inaccurate and manipulated elements to discredit a holder of an independent UN mandate.”
They called on Barrot to “retract his inaccurate statements about Ms Albanese and correct them.”
“This controversy must not divert attention from the massacres of civilians, nor from the humanitarian crisis and the massive human rights violations taking place in Gaza,” said the signatories.
The letter, written in French, was signed by mostly former foreign ministers and diplomats from the Netherlands.
More than a dozen current members of parliament and senators from Europe were also among the signatories, along with a former foreign minister of South Africa.
Albanese had spoken via videoconference at a forum in Doha on February 7 organized by the Al Jazeera network.
“The fact that instead of stopping Israel, most of the world has armed, given Israel political excuses, political sheltering, economic and financial support — this is a challenge,” she had said.
Albanese said that “international law has been stabbed in the heart” but added that there is an opportunity since “we now see that we as a humanity have a common enemy.”
France and Germany have called for Francesca Albanese to step down over remarks in which she referred to a “common enemy of humanity” after criticizing “most of the world” and the media for enabling Israel’s “genocide” in Gaza.
Critics and Israel have accused the UN Special Rapporteur of referring to Israel as a “common enemy,” while Albanese has denounced this as a “manipulation” and “completely false.”
In response to a question about the comments, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot on February 11 told parliament she should step down.
In an open letter sent to AFP, the former diplomats criticized what they called “the use of inaccurate and manipulated elements to discredit a holder of an independent UN mandate.”
They called on Barrot to “retract his inaccurate statements about Ms Albanese and correct them.”
“This controversy must not divert attention from the massacres of civilians, nor from the humanitarian crisis and the massive human rights violations taking place in Gaza,” said the signatories.
The letter, written in French, was signed by mostly former foreign ministers and diplomats from the Netherlands.
More than a dozen current members of parliament and senators from Europe were also among the signatories, along with a former foreign minister of South Africa.
Albanese had spoken via videoconference at a forum in Doha on February 7 organized by the Al Jazeera network.
“The fact that instead of stopping Israel, most of the world has armed, given Israel political excuses, political sheltering, economic and financial support — this is a challenge,” she had said.
Albanese said that “international law has been stabbed in the heart” but added that there is an opportunity since “we now see that we as a humanity have a common enemy.”
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










