UK sees surge in referrals of right-wing extremism to counterterrorism program

Referrals to a UK counterterrorism program showed a surge in extremist far-right related cases. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 06 November 2025
Follow

UK sees surge in referrals of right-wing extremism to counterterrorism program

  • Cases linked to violent far-right ideology increase by almost 40% and are now more than double the number related to Islamist extremism
  • Home Office figures show sharp rise in overall referrals to the Prevent scheme, amid growing concerns about ‘no ideology’ radicalization

LONDON: The number of people referred to Britain’s counterterrorism program over concerns about right-wing extremism surged by nearly 40 per cent in the space of a year.

Of a total of 8,778 people flagged to the Prevent scheme in the year to March 2025, nearly 1,800 related to violent, far-right ideology, Home Office figures show. That compares with 1,314 in the previous 12 months.

The number of referrals for far-right extremism was more than double the number for cases of Islamist extremism, which fell by 13 percent to 870 in the same period.

The shift comes amid an overall sharp increase in the number of cases referred to Prevent, and a big jump in the number of referrals labeled as “no identified ideology.” The 27 percent rise in referrals to the program has been linked to the July 2024 attack on a children’s dance class in northern England in which three girls were killed, and the subsequent trial.

Prevent faced criticism in a review for prematurely closing its case on the attacker, 17-year-old Axel Rudakubana, who had been referred to the scheme three times between 2019 and 2021. The review said too much emphasis was placed on the observation that he did not have a distinct ideology.

The latest figures reveal that more than half of the referrals to Prevent involved individuals judged to have no identified ideology, 21 percent were due to concerns about extreme right-wing views, 10 percent related to Islamist ideology, and 5 percent were the result of concerns about “fascination with extreme violence or mass casualty attacks” where no other ideology had been identified.

Of the individuals referred to the scheme, 89 percent were male, 65 percent white, 19 percent Asian, and 8 percent black.

The program has faced extensive criticism from human-rights groups for disproportionately targeting the Muslim community. Amnesty International said the latest figures showed Prevent was failing to tackle rising extremism.

“It is an ineffective, discriminatory program which is not compliant with international human rights law,” said Alba Kapoor, Amnesty’s racial justice lead.

Prevent was established in 2003 and expanded after the July 7, 2005, terrorist attacks on London’s transport system. Schools, police, local authorities and members of the public can refer to the scheme people they fear might be susceptible to radicalization. After an initial assessment, cases can be passed a “Channel” panel that determines the severity of the risk and what action should be taken.

The latest figures show 1,727 individuals were discussed by one of these panels in the year to March and 1,472 were adopted for further support.


Hungary says it will block a key EU loan to Ukraine until Russian oil shipments resume

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Hungary says it will block a key EU loan to Ukraine until Russian oil shipments resume

  • Szijjártó said: “As long as Ukraine blocks the resumption of oil supplies to Hungary, Hungary will block European Union decisions that are important and favorable for Ukraine”
  • Hungary’s decision to block the key funding came two days after it suspended diesel shipments

BUDAPEST: Hungary will block a planned 90-billion-euro ($106-billion) European Union loan to Ukraine until the flow of Russian oil through the Druzhba pipeline resumes, Hungary’s foreign minister said.
Russian oil shipments to Hungary and Slovakia have been interrupted since Jan. 27 after what Ukrainian officials said was a Russian drone attack damaged the Druzhba pipeline, which carries Russian crude across Ukrainian territory and into Central Europe.
Hungary and Slovakia, which have both received a temporary exemption from an EU policy prohibiting imports of Russian oil, have accused Ukraine — without providing evidence — of deliberately holding up supplies. Both countries ceased shipping diesel to Ukraine this week over the interruption in oil flows .
In a video posted on social media Friday evening, Foreign Minister Péter Szijjártó accused Ukraine of “blackmailing” Hungary by failing to restart shipments. He said his government would block a massive interest-free loan the EU approved in December to help Kyiv to meet its military and economic needs for the next two years.
“We will not give in to this blackmail. We do not support Ukraine’s war, we will not pay for it,” Szijjártó said. “As long as Ukraine blocks the resumption of oil supplies to Hungary, Hungary will block European Union decisions that are important and favorable for Ukraine.”
Hungary’s decision to block the key funding came two days after it suspended diesel shipments to its embattled neighbor and only days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion.
Nearly every country in Europe has significantly reduced or entirely ceased Russian energy imports since Moscow launched its war in Ukraine on Feb. 24, 2022. Yet Hungary and Slovakia — both EU and NATO members — have maintained and even increased supplies of Russian oil and gas.
Hungary’s nationalist Prime Minister Viktor Orbán has long argued Russian fossil fuels are indispensable for its economy and that switching to energy sourced from elsewhere would cause an immediate economic collapse — an argument some experts dispute.
Widely seen as the Kremlin’s biggest advocate in the EU, Orbán has vigorously opposed the bloc’s efforts to sanction Moscow over its invasion, and blasted attempts to hit Russia’s energy revenues that help finance the war. His government has frequently threatened to veto EU efforts to assist Ukraine.
On Saturday, Slovakia’s populist Prime minister Robert Fico said his country will stop providing emergency electricity supplies to Ukraine if oil is not flowing through the Druzhba by Monday. Orbán’s chief of staff, Gergely Gulyás, said earlier this week that Hungary, too, was exploring the possibility of cutting off its electricity supplies to Ukraine.
Not all of the EU’s 27 countries agreed to take part in the 90-billion-euro loan package for Kyiv. Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic opposed the plan, but a deal was reached in which they did not block the loan and were promised protection from any financial fallout.