Gaza’s psychological trauma brings large numbers to seek help

Palestinian children take part in recreational activities organized by members of the Palestinian Red Crescent Society in Khan Younis. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 03 November 2025
Follow

Gaza’s psychological trauma brings large numbers to seek help

  • Mental Health Hospital team overwhelmed with over 100 daily patients
  • Children face night terrors, bed-wetting, and other symptoms

GAZA STRIP: Gaza residents are suffering “a volcano” of psychological trauma from Israel’s devastating military campaign that has become clear since last month’s truce, according to Palestinian mental health specialists. 

Two years of intense Israeli bombardment and repeated military incursions that local health authorities say have killed more than 68,000 people, along with widespread homelessness and hunger, have affected all of Gaza’s 2.3 million inhabitants. 

The crisis is evident in the large numbers now seeking treatment from the Gaza City Mental Health Hospital team, which is working out of a nearby clinic because its building is damaged, said its head, Abdallah Al-Jamal. “With the start of the truce, it was like a volcano erupting in patients seeking mental health services. Even the stigma that used to be present before, the fear of visiting a psychologist, does not exist anymore,” he said, describing “a very large increase” in numbers from before the conflict.

Al-Jamal and a colleague are working as best they can, but with the hospital suffering significant damage, their resources are limited, and they have to share a room, depriving their patients of privacy during consultations. “That is honestly insulting in the way services are provided, but we are trying as much as possible to find alternatives,” he said of the more than 100 patients they see there every day. 

Among children, there are widespread reports of night terrors, bed-wetting, and other symptoms, including an inability to focus, according to mental health specialists for the Palestinian Red Crescent Society. 

“Gazan children are now suffering from shortages of food, water, shelter, and clothing,” said Nivine Abdelhadi, a specialist from the organization, which is offering activities for children that include games and stories.

The ceasefire came into effect on Oct. 10, although there have been repeated outbreaks of violence since then. It brought a halt to major warfare in the conflict, which was triggered by the attack on Israel on Oct. 7, 2023.


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.