NASA to Kim Kardashian: We’ve been to the moon six times

Kim Kardashian. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 01 November 2025
Follow

NASA to Kim Kardashian: We’ve been to the moon six times

  • What convinced her, she said during the segment, was a video she saw online of an Aldrin interview
  • “Yes, @KimKardashian, we’ve been to the Moon before ... 6 times!” Duffy wrote on X

NEW YORK: In a testament to Kim Kardashian’s power to grab the spotlight, the head of NASA felt compelled this week to set the record straight when the reality TV queen said she believed a well-worn conspiracy theory that the 1969 Apollo 11 moon landing was a fake.
In a new episode of Hulu’s long-running family saga “The Kardashians,” the show’s star said she thinks the lunar landing by astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin was a fiction.
What convinced her, she said during the segment, was a video she saw online of an Aldrin interview. She said she interpreted his comments in that interview to mean the moon landing never occurred.
Since the 1970s, skeptics have floated the notion that the mission — viewed live by tens of millions of people around the world — was actually staged.
That theory has waxed and waned over the years, but Sean Duffy, US Transportation Secretary and NASA’s acting administrator, wasted no time in shooting it down after Kardashian told her 4 million viewers that she was embracing the idea.

“Yes, @KimKardashian, we’ve been to the Moon before ... 6 times!” Duffy wrote on Thursday on the X social media platform.
In fact, he said, the US was going back to the moon under the leadership of President Donald Trump. In 2026, the Artemis II mission is scheduled to send astronauts on a 10-day trip around the moon, ahead of a planned moon landing in 2027.
“We won the last space race and we will win this one too,” Duffy wrote.
Kardashian referenced a video in which Aldrin, now 95, was asked what was the “scariest moment” during the Apollo mission. Reading from her phone, Kardashian quoted Aldrin as saying: “There was no scary moment, because it didn’t happen.”
The reality star then said: “So I think it didn’t happen.”
Aldrin’s remarks appear to have been taken out of context from a 2015 onstage appearance at Britain’s Oxford Union debating society.
During the event, Aldrin was asked by someone in the audience, “What was the scariest moment of the journey?“
He hesitated and said, “The scariest?” throwing up his hands as if to dismiss the notion. “It didn’t happen. It could have been scary,” he said, suggesting that nothing frightening happened.
Then someone in the audience asked him about a faulty circuit breaker, and he proceeded to describe a technical problem that arose during the mission.
A spokesperson for NASA could not immediately be reached to elaborate on the story. A spokesperson for Kardashian did not immediately respond. A spokesperson for Aldrin was not immediately available.


Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards

KABUL: Barbers in Afghanistan risk detention for trimming men’s beards too short, they told AFP, as the Taliban authorities enforce their strict interpretation of Islamic law with increasing zeal.
Last month, the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice said it was now “obligatory” to grow beards longer than a fist, doubling down on an earlier order.
Minister Khalid Hanafi said it was the government’s “responsibility to guide the nation to have an appearance according to sharia,” or Islamic law.
Officials tasked with promoting virtue “are obliged to implement the Islamic system,” he said.
With ministry officials patrolling city streets to ensure the rule is followed, the men interviewed by AFP all spoke on condition of anonymity due to security concerns.
In the southeastern province of Ghazni, a 30-year-old barber said he was detained for three nights after officials found out that one of his employees had given a client a Western-style haircut.
“First, I was held in a cold hall. Later, after I insisted on being released, they transferred me to a cold (shipping) container,” he said.
He was eventually released without charge and continues to work, but usually hides with his clients when the patrols pass by.
“The thing is that no one can argue or question” the ministry officials, the barber said.
“Everyone fears them.”

 This photograph taken on February 11, 2026 shows an Afghan barber trimming a customer's hair along a sidewalk in Kabul. (AFP)

He added that in some cases where both a barber and clients were detained, “the clients have been let out, but they kept the barber” in custody.
Last year, three barbers in Kunar province were jailed for three to five months for breaching the ministry’s rules, according to a UN report.

‘Personal space’

Alongside the uptick in enforcement, the religious affairs ministry has also issued stricter orders.
In an eight-page guide to imams issued in November, prayer leaders were told to describe shaving beards as a “major sin” in their sermons.
The religious affairs ministry’s arguments against trimming state that by shaving their beards, men were “trying to look like women.”
The orders have also reached universities — where only men study because women have been banned.
A 22-year-old Kabul University student said lecturers “have warned us... that if we don’t have a proper Islamic appearance, which includes beards and head covering, they will deduct our marks.”

 This photograph taken on February 11, 2026 shows an Afghan barber trimming a customer's hair along a sidewalk in Kabul. (AFP)

In the capital Kabul, a 25-year-old barber lamented that “there are a lot of restrictions” which go against his young clients’ preference for closer shaves.
“Barbers are private businesses, beards and heads are something personal, they should be able to cut the way they want,” he said.
Hanafi, the virtue propagation minister, has dismissed such arguments, saying last month that telling men “to grow a beard according to sharia” cannot be considered “invading the personal space.”

Business slump

In Afghanistan, the majority are practicing Muslims, but before the Taliban authorities returned to power in 2021, residents of major cities could choose their own appearance.
In areas where Taliban fighters were battling US-backed forces, men would grow beards either out of fear or by choice.
As fewer and fewer men opt for a close shave, the 25-year-old Kabul barber said he was already losing business.
Many civil servants, for example, “used to sort their hair a couple of times a week, but now, most of them have grown beards, they don’t show up even in a month,” he said.
A 50-year-old barber in Kabul said morality patrols “visit and check every day.”
In one incident this month, the barber said that an officer came into the shop and asked: “Why did you cut the hair like this?“
“After trying to explain that he is a child, he told us: ‘No, do Islamic hair, not English hair’.”