Regional Spanish leader under fire year after deadly floods

Demonstrators hold up banners during a march to mark the first anniversary of last year's deadly floods and demand accountability in Valencia, Spain. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 October 2025
Follow

Regional Spanish leader under fire year after deadly floods

  • Regions are primarily responsible for managing emergencies in Spain’s decentralized political system, but Mazon has denied accusations of dereliction of duty during the country’s deadliest natural disaster in decades

MADRID: One year after historic floods killed 229 people in Valencia, the Spanish region’s leader Carlos Mazon has faced mounting criticism over his handling of the disaster and defied calls to resign.
The eastern region bordering the Mediterranean had woken up under the highest red alert for torrential rain on October 29 last year.
But for five hours, the conservative Mazon, 51, was absent from the front line of an emergency response widely condemned as inadequate.
Above all, the late sending of a mass telephone alert to residents at 8:11 p.m. sparked fierce scrutiny of his agenda and a debate about whether that delayed potentially life-saving action.
“If Mazon had really been where he should have been, the alarm would have arrived on time,” leftist MP Agueda Mico, of the regionalist Compromis party, said on Tuesday.
Regions are primarily responsible for managing emergencies in Spain’s decentralized political system, but Mazon has denied accusations of dereliction of duty during the country’s deadliest natural disaster in decades.
“I did not switch off my mobile, I was not unreachable, I did not lack coverage, I did not lose interest, nor was I lost,” he told local newspaper Las Provincias in a rare interview since the tragedy.
According to the Levante newspaper, a colleague told Mazon there were already “many deaths” when he arrived in the evening at the seat of the regional government after a lengthy lunch.
Mazon resumed work at 7:45 p.m. and joined a critical emergency services meeting at around 8:30 pm, shortly after the telephone alert had been sent.
But the warning was too little, too late: muddy floodwater was already gushing through towns south of Valencia city and claiming lives.

- Shifting narrative -

Mazon said he spent four of his five hours of absence having lunch with a journalist to offer her a job.
This came after he had initially claimed to have eaten with a representative of Valencian businesses, but the person in question quickly came out to deny that account.
The remaining hour of Mazon’s absence — a critical period during which regional authorities hesitated about sending the alarm — remains shrouded in mystery.
The journalist, Maribel Vilaplana, broke her silence last month, saying they left the restaurant “between 6:30 and 6:45.”
But sources close to Vilaplana, contradicting Mazon’s narrative, revealed that he then accompanied her to search for her car instead of heading straight to his office.
An unexplained gap persists in his account of events from 6:57 to 7:34, when Mazon made and received no calls, according to a list he submitted to a parliamentary committee.
At 7:36 pm, the list shows he turned down a call from his then-top emergencies official, Salome Pradas, now under investigation for her role in the handling of the floods.

- Conservatives ‘undermined’ -

Although not under formal judicial investigation himself, Mazon has spent a year resisting intense pressure to resign.
Thousands of protesters have descended on Valencia’s streets every month demanding he quit, while 75 percent of the region’s residents want him to go, according to a poll published on Monday by Las Provincias and conservative daily ABC.
Experts view Mazon as a burden for the national leader of his opposition conservative Popular Party (PP), Alberto Nunez Feijoo, who prefers to dodge the topic.
Mazon “undermines Feijoo as a leader” and gives the Socialists “arguments to respond to corruption accusations” against Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, said Anton Losada, a political science professor at the University of Santiago de Compostela.
For Paloma Roman Marugan, associate professor of political science at Madrid’s Complutense University, the PP has entered “a rabbit hole” that could have been avoided “with a swift resignation that never happened.”
“But bringing him (Mazon) down is a tricky puzzle” for the PP as the party has no obvious replacement and wants to avoid early elections, she told AFP.


US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

US Secret Service says shot and killed man trying to access Trump Florida estate

MIAMI: The US Secret Service said Sunday its agents had shot and killed an armed man who illegally entered the premises of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.
Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT).
“An armed man was shot & killed by US Secret Service agents & @PBCountySheriff after unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.
The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the agency said in a statement.
Agents confronted the man and fired shots. No US officers were injured.
Trump has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the US election, was sentenced to life in prison.
Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.
That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.