Trump says seven ‘brand new’ jets downed in Pakistan-India conflict in May

US President Donald Trump delivers remarks at the US Ambassador’s Residence in Tokyo, Japan, on October 28, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 28 October 2025
Follow

Trump says seven ‘brand new’ jets downed in Pakistan-India conflict in May

  • The hour-long India-Pakistan duel, which took place in darkness on May 7, involved some 110 aircraft, experts estimate
  • Pakistan claimed victory and said it downed six Indian jets, New Delhi acknowledged losses but didn’t specify a number

ISLAMABAD: United States President Donald Trump on Tuesday said that seven “brand new, beautiful” jets were shot down during a brief Pakistan-India aerial combat in May, saying his threat to halt trade with both countries helped end four-day military standoff.

The conflict, the most intense military confrontation between India and Pakistan in decades, erupted after an April 22 attack in Indian-administered Kashmir that killed 26 people. New Delhi blamed the assault on Pakistan, an allegation Islamabad denied and called for credible, global probe.

The hour-long India-Pakistan duel, which took place in darkness, involved some 110 aircraft, experts estimate, making it the world’s largest air battle in decades. Pakistani officials said they downed six India jets, including French-made Rafale. India acknowledged losses but did not specify a number.

Trump, who helped broker a ceasefire between the neighbors on May 10, said the threat of halting trade was “70 percent” responsible for ending conflicts involving Pakistan and India, Azerbaijan and Armenia, Thailand and Cambodia, Serbia and Kosovo, Israel and Iran, Egypt and Ethiopia, and Rwanda and Congo.

“If you look at India and Pakistan, they were going at it, seven planes were shot down, seven brand new, beautiful planes were shot down, and they were going at it, two big nuclear powers,” Trump said at a ceremony in Japan.

“And I said to Prime Minister [Narendra] Modi, and I said to the Prime Minister [Shehbaz Sharif], a very nice man, a very good man. And the Field Marshal [Asim Munir] over in Pakistan, I said, ‘Look, we’re not going to do any trade if you’re going to be fighting’.”

Trump has repeatedly taken credit for the May 10 ceasefire between India and Pakistan, which he announced on social media after Washington held talks with both sides. India, however, has disputed his claims that the truce resulted from his intervention or his threats to halt trade discussions.

Since the May ceasefire, Islamabad and Washington have expanded cooperation across multiple fronts, including counterterrorism, defense and mining and minerals.

The two sides have also deepened engagement on trade, technology and climate resilience, signaling a renewed effort to stabilize ties and promote long-term collaboration.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.