Southern EU countries call for ‘immediate release’ of Gaza aid

European Commission head Ursula von der Leyen and Jordan’s King Abdullah with leaders from nine EU countries in Portoroz, Slovenia. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 20 October 2025
Follow

Southern EU countries call for ‘immediate release’ of Gaza aid

  • “There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to block such humanitarian aid,” he said, adding that the countries “fully expect” Israel to open border crossings to allow the aid in

PORTOROZ, Slovenia: Leaders from nine EU countries around the Mediterranean Sea on Monday said they “fully” expected Israel to open border crossings into Gaza for the “immediate release” of humanitarian aid following a ceasefire.
Countries of the so-called MED9 group — Croatia, Cyprus, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Slovenia and Spain — met on Monday in the Slovenian coastal town of Portoroz to discuss issues affecting their region.
Jordan’s King Abdullah II and European Commission head Ursula von der Leyen were also at the meeting.
The group called for “the immediate release of all the humanitarian aid to flow to Gaza,” Slovenian Prime Minister Robert Golob told a joint press conference after the meeting.
“There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to block such humanitarian aid,” he said, adding that the countries “fully expect” Israel to open border crossings to allow the aid in.
The reopening of the Rafah border crossing between the Gaza Strip and Egypt remains on hold despite calls from the UN and aid groups.
US President Donald Trump said Sunday that a ceasefire in Gaza was still holding after Israel carried out deadly strikes on the territory over alleged truce violations by Hamas.
The ceasefire, which began on Oct. 10, halted more than two years of devastating war between Israel and Hamas.
Golob said the MED9 group also wanted to make sure the ceasefire agreement is “fully respected,” including by finding a way to put reporters on the ground.

 


Danish forces evacuate US submarine crew member off Greenland

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Danish forces evacuate US submarine crew member off Greenland

NUUK: Danish forces evacuated a crew member from a US submarine off the coast of Greenland on Saturday after the sailor required urgent medical treatment, authorities said.
Denmark’s Joint Arctic Command, which oversees Danish operations in the region, said in a post on Facebook the crew member was flown to a hospital in Nuuk after a medical emergency on board the vessel.
Officials did not disclose the nature of the medical issue or give details about the submarine’s mission.
Images posted online appeared to show the sail of a submarine surfacing in Nuuk’s bay, though AFP could not immediately verify the footage.
Since returning to the White House last year, US President Donald Trump has argued that Washington needs to control mineral-rich Greenland — an autonomous Danish territory — for American national security.
Last month, Trump backed down from earlier threats to seize the Arctic island after striking a “framework” deal with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte to ensure greater US influence.