Lebanon’s economy minister expects cabinet to sign fiscal gap law soon

Lebanon's cabinet is soon expected to approve and send to parliament a long-awaited law needed to restructure its debt burden, the country's economy minister Amer Bisat said, adding that policymakers are in touch daily with the International Monetary Fund. (X/@abisat)
Short Url
Updated 15 October 2025
Follow

Lebanon’s economy minister expects cabinet to sign fiscal gap law soon

  • Asked about progress on the law, Amer Bizat said the government’s emphasis was on good legislation rather than speedy progress
  • “The idea is to present it, discuss in the cabinet, approve in the cabinet, and then send it over to the parliament“

WASHINGTON: Lebanon’s cabinet is soon expected to approve and send to parliament a long-awaited law needed to restructure its debt burden, the country’s economy minister said, adding that policymakers are in touch daily with the International Monetary Fund.
Lebanon is struggling to emerge from a severe economic crisis following decades of profligate spending by ruling elites that sent the economy into a tailspin in late 2019, with depositors locked out of accounts as debt-laden banks shut down.
Key to the fiscal and economic overhaul is a law on the distribution of financial losses between the state, the central bank, commercial banks and depositors — dubbed the “fiscal gap” law.
Asked about progress on the law, Amer Bizat said the government’s emphasis was on good legislation rather than speedy progress.
“The idea is to present it, discuss in the cabinet, approve in the cabinet, and then send it over to the parliament,” Bizat told Reuters on Tuesday on the sidelines of the annual meetings of the IMF and World Bank. He added that he expected these things to happen “soon.”
“It’s more important that we get something right than we get something fast,” he said.

RELATIONS WITH BONDHOLDERS POSITIVE, MINISTER SAYS
Declining to give details on the numbers being discussed, Bizat said the draft would follow three principles — depositors would get back their money over time with no haircut and that any solution would ensure the banking sector back to health. Furthermore, smaller deposits would get their money back faster than larger depositors, he added.
Bizat also said he was meeting with the IMF every day. Asked whether he would also meet bondholders on the sidelines of the meetings in Washington, Bizat declined to comment but said relations between authorities and those investors were “good, cordial and positive.”
Recent events in the region could bring big positive change for Lebanon, said Bizat, who previously was BlackRock’s global head of emerging markets.
“That change could potentially be very good, very positive for Lebanon,” he said. “Let’s not forget, we’re in the middle of a war still ... but there’s a possibility that the kind of changes that are happening, if stability, if security, comes back to the region, Lebanon could benefit enormously.”
The government is also expecting hundreds of investors to head to Beirut in November for a conference dubbed Beirut One, that Bizat hopes would help rekindle private investor engagement in the country.
“There is a strong interest in imagining the day after,” he said. “We know people are very realistic ... everybody knows that challenges are enormous, and the journey is still very, very long, but I really think people are saying it’s okay to start imagining how things will be after.”


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.