Pakistan to host Saudi performers for the first time at World Culture Festival in Karachi

Artists take part in a satirical sci-fi theatre performance "V-Gen - Error 404: Not Found" by a Pakistani director Bazelah Mustafa, at the World Culture Festival in Karachi, Pakistan October 3, 2024. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 15 October 2025
Follow

Pakistan to host Saudi performers for the first time at World Culture Festival in Karachi

  • ‘Biggest festival in the world’ to run from Oct. 31 to Dec. 7, featuring artists from 141 countries
  • Israeli filmmakers also approached the Arts Council of Pakistan to participate in the festival

KARACHI: Cultural groups from Saudi Arabia will participate for the first time in the World Culture Festival hosted by Pakistan from Oct. 31 to Dec. 7, the president of the Arts Council of Pakistan said on Wednesday, adding that it would be “the biggest festival in the world.”

The event, which will be held in Karachi, will host performers from 141 countries, including 37 from Africa, 41 from Asia, 36 from Europe, 13 from North America, 11 from South America and three from Oceania.

The seven-week festival will feature 45 theater productions, 60 music performances, 25 dance shows, six exhibitions, 25 workshops and 15 talks, with 25 international and 30 national artists taking part.

“This year, cultural groups from across the Middle East are participating in the World Culture Festival,” the council’s president, Muhammad Ahmed Shah, told Arab News. “We are grateful to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for his remarkable efforts in promoting art and culture in Saudi Arabia.”

“In the future, we look forward to strengthening cultural collaboration with the Kingdom,” he added.

Shah said during a news conference that the festival aimed to promote peace and intercultural understanding, noting that artists from conflict-affected regions will also be represented.

“When people from around the world come here, they will see how peaceful we are,” he said.

Highlighting the response the festival has received, he said that the council had received more than 2,800 films, adding that this is a number unmatched by any other festival in the world.

Shah mentioned that the council was even approached by filmmakers in India and Israel.

Pakistan has tense relations with India after an intense, four-day military conflict between the two South Asian nuclear-armed neighbors.

Pakistan also does not recognize Israel and has always called for an independent state of Palestine with pre-1967 borders and East Jerusalem as its capital.

Shah also praised the Sindh administration for supporting the event, saying the festival will feature Pakistani films alongside international entries.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”