Russia’s Medvedev says supplying US Tomahawks to Ukraine could end badly for all, especially Trump

In this file picture downloaded from the US Navy website, taken on March 29, 2011, the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Barry (DDG 52) launches a Tomahawk cruise missile to support Joint Task Force Odyssey Dawn in the Mediterranean Sea. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 13 October 2025
Follow

Russia’s Medvedev says supplying US Tomahawks to Ukraine could end badly for all, especially Trump

  • Warning followed Russia's attack on Ukraine’s power grid overnight, part of a campaign to cripple Ukrainian energy infrastructure before winter
  • Putin said earlier this month that any supply of such missiles to Ukraine would trigger a “qualitatively new stage of escalation”

MOSCOW: Former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev said on Monday that supplying US Tomahawk missiles to Ukraine could end badly for everyone, especially US President Donald Trump.

Medvedev, an arch-hawk who has repeatedly goaded Trump on social media, said it is impossible to distinguish between Tomahawk missiles carrying nuclear warheads and conventional ones after they are launched – a point that President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman has also made.

“How should Russia respond? Exactly!” Medvedev said on Telegram, appearing to hint that Moscow’s response would be nuclear.

Trump said again on Sunday that he may offer long-range Tomahawk missiles that could be used by Kyiv if Putin does not end the war in Ukraine.

“Yeah, I might tell him (Putin), if the war is not settled, we may very well do it,” Trump said. “We may not, but we may do it... Do they want to have Tomahawks going in their direction? I don’t think so.”

Medvedev wrote: “One can only hope that this is another empty threat … Like sending nuclear submarines closer to Russia.”

He was alluding to Trump’s statement in August that he had ordered two nuclear submarines to move closer to Russia in response to what he called “highly provocative” comments from Medvedev about the risk of war.

Putin has said supplying Ukraine with Tomahawks – which have a range of 2,500km and could therefore strike anywhere within European Russia, including Moscow – would destroy relations between the United States and Russia.


Las Vegas police investigate terrorism event after vehicle rammed into power substation

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Las Vegas police investigate terrorism event after vehicle rammed into power substation

LAS VEGAS: Las Vegas police say they’re investigating a car that rammed into a power substation as a ” terrorism-related event.”
There’s no ongoing threat to the public, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Sheriff Kevin McMahill said during a news conference Friday.
The driver of the vehicle was 23-year-old Dawson Maloney from Albany, New York, who was reported missing and died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, McMahill said.
The man had communicated with family before the crash, referencing self-harm, and said he was going to commit an act that would place him on the news. He referred to himself as a terrorist in a message sent to his mother, according to police.
Authorities found explosive materials and multiple books “related to extremist ideologies” in Maloney’s hotel room, McMahill said. The books included ones about right- and left-wing extremism, environmental extremism, white supremacism and anti-government ideology, he said.
“These findings significantly elevate the seriousness of this incident,” McMahill said.
Maloney is listed as a student at Albany Law School in the class of 2027. He was also an honors student for multiple semesters at Siena University, located in New York.
Two shotguns, an assault rifle-style pistol, and flame throwers were found in his rental car, McMahill said. Maloney was wearing what police described as “soft-body armor.”
Authorities recovered a 3D printer and several gun components needed to assemble a firearm from an Albany residence.
Boulder City is a historic town located approximately 25 miles  southeast of Las Vegas and home to the Hoover Dam, which is considered one of the country’s modern civil engineering wonders. The dam provides water to millions of people and generates an average of 4 billion kilowatt-hours of hydroelectric power each year for Nevada, Arizona and California.
The power substation that was rammed is owned by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power. The facility works closely with Hoover Dam and transfers power to the Los Angeles basin, McMahill said. The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said in a statement to The Associated Press that it is aware of the incident, and there were no impacts or disruptions to its operations.
Boulder City Police Chief Timothy Shea said there is no evidence of major damage to critical infrastructure and no service disruptions.
A similar incident occurred in 2023 when a man rammed a car through a fence at a solar power facility in the desert northeast of Las Vegas, setting the car on fire. The solar power facility served Las Vegas Strip casinos. He was declared unfit for trial. That attack followed several incidents and arrests involving electrical substations in states including Washington, Oregon and North Carolina and concerns expressed by federal officials about the security of the nation’s electricity transmission network.
“We are heartbroken to hear of the tragic passing of one of our law students, Dawson Maloney, in an off-campus incident,” said Tom Torello, director of communications and marketing at Albany Law School, in a statement.