Rights groups call on Microsoft to ‘avoid contributing to human rights abuses’

Short Url
Updated 11 October 2025
Follow

Rights groups call on Microsoft to ‘avoid contributing to human rights abuses’

  • Appeal follows revelations that cloud infrastructure used by Israeli intelligence 

LONDON: Microsoft must suspend business activities that are contributing to grave human rights violations and international crimes by the Israeli military and government authorities, leading human rights organizations said in a joint statement published on Friday.

Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, Access Now, and several other rights groups jointly urged the US tech giant to “avoid complicity” in what they described as Israel’s ongoing atrocities against Palestinians. The appeal followed revelations that Microsoft’s cloud infrastructure was being used by Israeli intelligence for surveillance and targeting operations in Gaza and the occupied West Bank.

An investigation in August by The Guardian, +972 Magazine, and Local Call reported that Israel’s elite military intelligence unit, Unit 8200, was using Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform to process vast troves of intercepted Palestinian communications.

Following the report, Microsoft announced on Sept. 25 that it had disabled specific subscriptions and services linked to the Israeli military, including access to certain cloud storage and artificial intelligence tools, pending a review of the allegations.

“Microsoft has taken an important first step toward restricting the use of specific technologies by a unit within the Israeli military for repressing Palestinians,” said Deborah Brown, deputy director for technology and rights at Human Rights Watch. “It should comprehensively review its business relationships with Israeli authorities and take action to ensure its infrastructure and tools are not complicit in Israel’s extermination of Palestinians and other serious abuses.”

The company said it will formally respond to the joint letter by the end of October after completing its internal investigation and recommendations.

Human Rights Watch noted that Microsoft should already have conducted “heightened human rights due diligence” given Israel’s long-standing occupation and documented abuses against Palestinians. Reports by the UN, global media, and human rights groups have repeatedly warned of the risks posed by technology companies working with Israeli authorities.

The organizations said that data-driven systems and AI tools used by Israeli forces, including for surveillance and targeting in Gaza, raised serious concerns under international humanitarian law — particularly regarding the distinction between combatants and civilians.

The rights groups cited findings that Israeli authorities had carried out crimes against humanity — including extermination, apartheid, and persecution — as well as acts of genocide and ethnic cleansing. They accused Israel of violating binding orders by the International Court of Justice.

The media investigation found that Israel’s surveillance program, powered by Azure, stores millions of recorded mobile calls. Sources from Unit 8200 said the data had been used to identify bombing targets in Gaza and to “blackmail, detain, or justify the killing” of Palestinians in the West Bank. Microsoft’s own preliminary review reportedly “found evidence supporting elements of The Guardian’s reporting.”

Israel’s assault on Gaza has resulted in the deaths of more than 67,000 Palestinians, including at least 20,000 children, according to figures cited by Human Rights Watch. The bombardment has destroyed most of Gaza’s civilian infrastructure, including homes, schools, and hospitals.

Rights organizations say Israel’s extensive surveillance of Palestinians — enabled by advanced technologies — has been instrumental in the systematic oppression of the population and in the commission of war crimes.

Under the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, which Microsoft publicly endorses, companies must avoid causing or contributing to abuses and mitigate risks directly linked to their operations or partnerships.

“There is no time to delay,” Brown said. “Microsoft should take decisive action to ensure it is not profiting from grave human rights abuses of Palestinians.”


‘No Other Land’ director’s home, family attacked by Israeli soldiers in West Bank

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

‘No Other Land’ director’s home, family attacked by Israeli soldiers in West Bank

  • Hamdan Ballal’s brother held ‘round his neck,’ filmmaker says
  • Other relatives handcuffed, blindfolded, detained, reports say

DUBAI: Hamdan Ballal, one of the four directors of the Oscar-winning documentary “No Other Land,” said that his home was attacked by Israeli soldiers and that several members of his family were injured and detained, according to media reports.

Settler attacks on Masafer Yatta, a cluster of villages in the southern West Bank, had intensified, the filmmaker said.

Ballal said he called the police on Sunday to enforce a ruling that prohibited non-residents from entering the area around his home in the village of Susya, but was instead visited by soldiers and a local settler leader.

The director, who was not at home at the time, said the soldiers raided his property and attacked everyone inside, including his brother, Mohammed Ballal, who was held “round his neck,” which caused him to turn blue and left him struggling to breathe.

Several other family members, including two brothers, a nephew and a cousin, were stopped by soldiers while traveling from a nearby village. They were handcuffed, blindfolded and detained for three hours at an army base, before being released later the same night, Ballal said.

A spokesperson for the army said that “a number of Palestinians adjacent to the area of Susya” were detained for refusing to identify themselves to soldiers but emphasized that “IDF soldiers did not assault them and did not raid their home.”

Ballal said that he was attacked last year by the same Israeli settler who attacked his family on Sunday. He said he was released the following day with injuries to his head and stomach.

“Two weeks ago we managed to get a decision from the Israeli court that the area around my home is closed to non-residents, but the settlers break that order and still come with their flocks almost every day,” the filmmaker said in a statement.

The ruling “was supposed to make things a bit quieter for us,” but the “opposite has been true,” as settlers have “ramped up their harassment and the Israeli authorities have done nothing to enforce the decision and today they joined the settlers in the attack,” he said.

In recent days, Israel has introduced a set of measures aimed at deepening its control over the West Bank.

On Sunday, the government approved a plan that allows Israelis to register land in the West Bank for the first time since the registration process was frozen following the 1967 war, when Israel captured the territory from Jordan.

The move has been widely condemned by humanitarian and advocacy groups.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Israel to reverse its decision, which he said could “lead to the dispossession of Palestinians of their property and risks expanding unlawful Israeli control over land in the area.”

In a joint statement on Tuesday, more than 80 UN member states said they strongly condemned “unilateral Israeli decisions and measures aimed at expanding Israel’s unlawful presence in the West Bank.”

“Such decisions are contrary to Israel’s obligations under international law and must be immediately reversed,” it said.

Legal advocacy group Adalah said it had sent an urgent letter to Israeli ministers demanding the “immediate cancellation” of the land registry decision.

Adalah’s legal director Dr. Suhad Bishara said that Israel’s decision “deepens the gravest violations of international law, including the continued commission of war crimes (settlements), crimes against humanity (apartheid) and the crime of aggression (de facto and de jure annexation).”