Defense minister warns India after army chief’s remarks on ‘erasing Pakistan’

Pakistan's Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif gestures during an interview with Reuters in Islamabad, Pakistan, on May 8, 2025. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 05 October 2025
Follow

Defense minister warns India after army chief’s remarks on ‘erasing Pakistan’

  • Khawaja Asif says Indian leaders trying to “restore lost credibility” after setbacks in May 2025 war
  • Indian army chief this week warned Pakistan to “stop backing terror” or risk being wiped off the map

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif on Sunday warned that any fresh Indian aggression would be met with a stronger response, saying New Delhi’s military and political leaders were trying to restore credibility after suffering setbacks during a brief but intense war with Pakistan in May 2025.

Asif’s remarks followed comments by India’s army chief General Upendra Dwivedi, who told soldiers near the Pakistan border on Friday Islamabad must stop “backing terror” if it wanted to “remain on the world map.” Dwivedi said India would not show the restraint it exercised during a brief war with Pakistan in May this year, in which, according to the Indian army, nine facilities inside Pakistan were hit and more than 100 Pakistani soldiers and militants killed.

The May 2025 hostilities — the most serious confrontation between the nuclear-armed neighbors in years — saw Pakistan and India exchange missile, drone and artillery strikes for four days before an uneasy ceasefire was restored through US mediation. 

“The statements by Indian military and political leaders are a failed attempt to restore their lost credibility,” Asif wrote on X, formerly Twitter. 

“After such a decisive defeat with a score of 0–6, if they try again, the score god willing will be much better than before. … This time India will be buried under the wreckage of its own planes.”

Pakistan has said it shot down six Indian fighter jets during the May conflict, including the French-made Rafale. India has acknowledged some losses but denied losing six aircraft. Last week, the Indian air chief said India had downed five Pakistani fighter jets of the F-16 and JF-17 class during the intense May fighting.

The conflict, the worst between the old foes in decades, was sparked by an attack on Hindu tourists in Indian-administered Kashmir in April, which New Delhi said was backed by Pakistan. Islamabad denied involvement in the Kashmir attack, which killed 26 men and was the worst assault on civilians in India since the Mumbai attacks in 2008.

India said in July that three “terrorists” involved in the attack had been killed, and there was “lot of proof” that they were Pakistanis.

Pakistan’s foreign ministry had questioned the credibility of India’s account of the events, saying it was “replete with fabrications.”

Ties between the countries, which have fought two of their three wars over the Himalayan region of Kashmir, have been downgraded since the attack, with the impact being felt in areas ranging from trade and travel to sports.

Pakistan’s military has also responded to the Indian army chief’s threats, calling them “delusional, provocative and jingoistic” and warning that a renewed conflict “might lead to cataclysmic devastation” and that Pakistan “shall not hold back” if hostilities resume.

“Those seeking to establish a new normal must know that Pakistan has established a new normal of response, which will be swift, decisive and destructive,” the ISPR said, adding that any attempt to erase Pakistan from the map “will be mutual.”

India and Pakistan, which have fought three wars since independence in 1947, remain at a virtual diplomatic standstill since the 2025 clashes, trading accusations of cross-border militancy and military provocation.


Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Deadly explosions in northwest Pakistan kill three, wound over 20

  • Unexploded mortar shell in Bajaur home kills one, injures nine including children
  • Motorcycle bomb near Bannu police station kills two, wounds 12 civilians

PESHAWAR: At least three people were killed and more than 20 others injured in two separate explosions in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, officials said on Monday.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border. 

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

In the first incident, a senior police officer Anwar Zeb told Arab News a suspected mortar shell exploded in Salarzai, a remote town in Bajaur district, killing one person and injuring nine others.

“Initial reports indicated that children had found an unexploded mortar shell and brought it home, where it later detonated late Sunday evening,” he added.

Riaz Khan, media officer at Bajaur Rescue1122, said those injured in the blast included men, women and children.

“A rescue team was swiftly dispatched to the area to evacuate those dead and injured to the nearest medical facility,” he added.

In a separate incident, a remote-controlled bomb planted in a motorcycle exploded near Miryan Police Station in southern Bannu district, according to Aamir Khan, spokesman to Regional Police Officer.

“The explosive device had been installed in a motorcycle parked near shops in front of the police facility, killing two civilians while 12 others sustained injuries,” he added.

Security forces cordoned off the area immediately after the explosion and launched a search operation.

Investigations into both incidents are ongoing.