Pakistan military warns India against aggression after army chief’s remarks on ‘erasing Pakistan’

Indian army soldiers stand guard next to an anti-aircraft gun near the Line of Control (LoC) in Indian administered Kashmir region on May 19, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 05 October 2025
Follow

Pakistan military warns India against aggression after army chief’s remarks on ‘erasing Pakistan’

  • Military says India inventing pretext for another conflict, vows to strike ‘farthest reaches’ if war erupts
  • Both countries had an intesne military standoff this year before a US-brokered ceasefire was announced

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s military said on Saturday India was trying to invent reasons for renewed aggression, issuing a strongly worded statement in response to hostile statements from New Delhi this week and warning Pakistan would not hold back and would “hit the farthest reaches” of the neighboring state if fresh clashes erupt.

India targeted several sites in Pakistan earlier this year after a militant attack in the disputed Kashmir region which it blamed on Islamabad, despite Pakistan’s denial of involvement and its call for an international probe. The escalation between the two nuclear-armed neighbors triggered intense missile, drone and artillery exchanges before a US-brokered ceasefire was announced on May 10.

Pakistan said it shot down six Indian fighter jets, including French-made Rafales, with New Delhi acknowledging some losses but disputing the number. Earlier this week, Indian Air Force Chief Amar Preet Singh claimed his forces had downed five Pakistani fighter planes, while Indian Army Chief General Upendra Dwivedi accused Islamabad of “terrorism” and warned that India would strike so hard that its rival would “lose a place in history and geography.”

Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh also alleged Pakistan had engaged in a military buildup near a sensitive border area, saying “a route to Karachi passes through Sir Creek.”

“We have noted with grave concern the delusional, provocative and jingoistic statements coming from the highest levels of the Indian security establishment,” the military’s media wing, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), said in a statement. “These irresponsible statements indicate a renewed attempt at fabricating arbitrary pretexts for aggression — a prospect which might lead to serious consequences for peace and stability in South Asia.”

“In the face of highly provocative statements of the Indian Defense Minister and its Army and Air Chiefs, we caution that a future conflict might lead to cataclysmic devastation,” it added. “In case a fresh round of hostilities is triggered, Pakistan shall not hold back. We shall resolutely respond, without any qualms or restraint.”

The statement accused India of “stoking violence” and “perpetrating terrorism” in the region — allegations New Delhi has previously denied — and said the world now recognized it as “the epicenter of regional instability.”

ISPR further warned Pakistan would strike deep inside India if attacked again.

“This time we shall shatter the myth of geographic immunity, hitting the farthest reaches of the Indian territory,” it said. “As for the talk of erasing Pakistan from the map, India must know that if the situation comes, the erasure will be mutual.”

The two South Asian rivals have fought three full-scale wars and numerous border skirmishes since their independence from Britain in 1947.

Any escalating rhetoric from both sides risks destabilizing the ceasefire and undermining diplomatic efforts to maintain calm. 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.