2 Yemeni writers disappear amid Houthi crackdown on media

Both men remain missing, and advocacy groups have directly linked their disappearances to the Houthi escalation against media and free expression as Revolution Day approached. (X/File)
Short Url
Updated 30 September 2025
Follow

2 Yemeni writers disappear amid Houthi crackdown on media

  • Yemeni journalist Majed Zayed and writer Oras Al-Iryani reportedly disappeared in Sanaa days before Sept. 26 Revolution Day

LONDON: Yemeni journalist Majed Zayed and writer Oras Al-Iryani have reportedly disappeared in Sanaa, in what rights groups have condemned as part of an escalating Houthi clampdown on media freedom.

Zayed, who contributes to independent outlets including Nafzet Al-Yemen, Almawqea Post, and Mda Press, was abducted late on Sept. 23 while leaving a medical center in the Yemeni capital.

His disappearance followed a patriotic Facebook post celebrating the Yemeni flag ahead of the Sept. 26 Revolution Day, an anniversary not recognized by Houthi authorities.

Just a day prior, Al-Iryani — a poet and essayist — was last seen after leaving his home at sunset, his phone switched off and his Facebook page deleted within hours.

Both men remain missing, and advocacy groups have directly linked their disappearances to the Houthi escalation against media and free expression as Revolution Day approached.

Civil society group SAM Organization for Rights and Liberties described these acts as “systematic efforts to suppress opinion and limit civic participation.”

The Committee to Protect Journalists echoed calls for their safe release, condemning the arrests as “another example of the Houthi rebel group exploiting politicized moments to intensify their crackdown on the press.”

The latest disappearances are part of a broader campaign against writers, journalists, and activists in Houthi-controlled territories ahead of national celebrations.

Rights monitors warn this is an attempt to erase a significant historical milestone from Yemen’s collective memory.

Earlier in September, the Houthi-run Ministry of Interior issued a warning about alleged hostile plots threatening national stability, mirroring last year’s campaign of arrests targeting aid workers and critics, including journalist Mohammed Al-Miyahi, who is still in detention.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.