Applause as San Marino recognizes Palestine at UN General Assembly

San Marino's Minister of Foreign Affairs Luca Beccari addresses the 80th United Nations General Assembly at UN headquarters in New York City, US, September 27, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 28 September 2025
Follow

Applause as San Marino recognizes Palestine at UN General Assembly

  • ‘Having a state is the right of the Palestinian people. It is not, and can never be, a reward for Hamas’
  • ‘Nothing can justify the collective punishment of the Palestinian people through indiscriminate bombing, starvation and displacement’

NEW YORK: San Marino officially recognized Palestine at the 80th session of the UN General Assembly on Saturday.

“On May 15, our parliament, with unanimous support, mandated the government to recognize the State of Palestine within this year. Today, before this Assembly, we announce the fulfillment of that mandate: San Marino officially recognizes the State of Palestine,” said Foreign Minister Luca Beccari.

The hall rang out with applause as San Marino joined the growing number of nations recognizing Palestine.

Beccari affirmed San Marino’s recognition of Palestine “as a sovereign and independent state within secure, internationally recognized borders, in line with UN resolutions.”

He added: “Having a state is the right of the Palestinian people. It is not, and can never be, a reward for Hamas.”

Beccari said this decision aligns with San Marino’s position delivered last July at the high-level conference chaired by Saudi Arabia and France.

He lamented the humanitarian catastrophe unfolding in Gaza and the West Bank, describing it as “unbearable” and “one of the most painful and long-standing tragedies of our time.”

Beccari “unequivocally” condemned the Hamas attack on Israel of Oct. 7, 2023, and again called for the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages.

He also reiterated his country’s call for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza, full and unhindered humanitarian access, and an end to Israel’s illegal settlement of Palestinian land in the West Bank, which sabotages any “concrete possibility of peace.”

He added: “Nothing can justify the collective punishment of the Palestinian people through indiscriminate bombing, starvation and displacement.

“Unless we act with unity and determination, the vision of two peoples living side by side in dignity and security will be lost.”

He concluded: “In this dark hour, our responsibility becomes urgent.”


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.