Dengue fever ravages Sudan as infrastructure battered by war

A Sudanese girl receives an oral cholera vaccine during a 10-day vaccination campaign conducted by health ministry workers in Khartoum, Sudan. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 24 September 2025
Follow

Dengue fever ravages Sudan as infrastructure battered by war

  • As millions of people displaced by fighting return to their homes in Sudan while others continue to flee, the unusually high spread of diseases like dengue fever, cholera and malaria this year highlights the hidden costs of almost 30 months of war

KHARTOUM: Tens of thousands of Sudanese people have fallen victim to dengue fever and other diseases, Sudan’s health minister said, as seasonal rains further test infrastructure and hospitals devastated by conflict.
As millions of people displaced by fighting return to their homes in Sudan while others continue to flee, the unusually high spread of diseases like dengue fever, cholera and malaria this year highlights the hidden costs of almost 30 months of war.
The conflict between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces has created the world’s worst humanitarian crisis and spread famine, and has shown no signs of slowing — although the army has recaptured the capital Khartoum and other parts of the country.
Exhausted patients lie under mosquito nets in packed wards in Omdurman Hospital as they receive intravenous paracetamol drips, the main treatment for the disease which can be fatal on second exposure.

TENS OF THOUSANDS OF CASES
More than 2,000 cases of dengue fever were recorded nationwide over the week ending on Tuesday, mostly in Khartoum, according to the Ministry of Health, but the minister said the real numbers falling ill were likely much higher.
“80 percent of cases are minor and do not reach the hospital so we expect it to be tens of thousands of cases in the past period across Sudan,” Haitham Mohamed Ibrahim told Reuters.
The mosquitoes that carry the disease thrive in stagnant water including inside homes. In Sudan, the rainy season has left pools of standing water across the country, while people have resorted to storing water at home after fighting in the capital has destroyed power grids and running water systems.
“The government isn’t doing anything, the rainwater is stagnant in the street, trash is everywhere and the mosquitoes are growing more and more each day,” said Salaheldin Altayib, a 65-year-old trader in Omdurman who said he and two other family members had fallen ill from dengue fever.

HIGH PREVALENCE OF MOSQUITOES
The minister said systems to spray insecticides had been damaged.
“The continuation of war for more than two years has had a direct impact on the environment, health, the build up of trash and waste, the destruction of water sources, has created a new reality ... of the high prevalence of mosquitoes,” he said.
While efforts to vaccinate the population and treat water have resulted in a relatively controlled cholera outbreak in the capital, the Darfur region has seen the disease peak, with 12,739 cases over the past four months, the World Health Organization said on Tuesday.
Some 61 percent are in the town of Tawila, which has sheltered hundreds of thousands of people fleeing the fighting in and around the city of Al-Fashir, the current epicenter of the violence.
Efforts are also under way to vaccinate people there, the WHO said.
Global aid cuts have hampered the ability to treat these diseases, Ibrahim said. Some $39 million is needed to treat the several concurrent epidemics, he said.
Current UN data shows Sudan’s donor-dependent health care appears to be less than a third funded.


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.