Israel to demolish homes of Palestinians who killed six in Jerusalem bus stop attack

Israeli security forces gather by a body next to a bus at the scene of a shooting at the Ramot Road junction in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 22 September 2025
Follow

Israel to demolish homes of Palestinians who killed six in Jerusalem bus stop attack

  • Israel says demolishing the homes of relatives of attackers and their fellow villagers is a deterrent to future attacks
  • Palestinians and human rights groups say it is a form of collective punishment prohibited by international law

JERUSALEM: Israel’s military said on Monday it will demolish the homes of two Palestinian gunmen who shot and killed six people at a bus stop in Jerusalem earlier this month in one of the deadliest attacks in the city in the past few years.

The shooting took place against the backdrop of nearly two years of war in Gaza that has devastated the enclave, and amid a surge in attacks by Jewish settlers on Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
The Jerusalem attackers were shot dead at the scene. Israel says demolishing the homes of relatives of attackers and their fellow villagers is a deterrent to future attacks.
Palestinians and human rights groups say it is a form of collective punishment prohibited by international law.
Earlier this month, Israel ordered the demolition of all homes built without permits in Qatanna and Qubeiba — the hometowns of the attackers, and said 750 people from the town would have their work permits revoked.


Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Updated 28 min 46 sec ago
Follow

Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Palestinian worshippers coming from West Bank cities arrived at Israeli checkpoints on Friday hoping to cross to attend first Friday prayers of Ramadan at al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

Some said they were not allowed to enter and were asked to go back.

Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa, as security forces stepped up deployments across the city.

Police said preparations for Ramadan had been completed, with large numbers of officers and border police to be deployed in the Old City, around holy sites and along routes used by worshippers. 

Israel's COGAT, a military agency that controls access to the West Bank and Gaza, said that entry to Jerusalem from the West Bank would be capped at 10,000 worshippers. Men aged 55 and over and women aged 50 and over will be eligible to enter, along with children up to age 12 accompanied by a first-degree relative, COGAT said. 

Al-Aqsa lies at the heart of Jerusalem's old city. It is Islam's third holiest site and known to Jews as Temple Mount.