Against the tide: Filipinos battle rising sea on sinking island

This aerial view taken on July 7, 2025, shows cramped houses on Isla Pugad in Hagonoy town, Bulacan province, north of Manila. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 18 September 2025
Follow

Against the tide: Filipinos battle rising sea on sinking island

  • Study blames gradual sinking on overextraction of groundwater, exacerbated by rising sea levels due to global warming
  • Says concerted effort by world’s highly industrialized countries in reducing greenhouse gas emissions needed to address the rise of sea levels

BULACAN, Philippines: On the Philippine island of Pugad, street food vendor Maria Tamayo wakes before her grandchildren to begin the backbreaking work of removing seawater from her home scoop by scoop with a plastic dustpan.
The routine has been the same ever since the rising tides of Manila Bay began swallowing the island — a seven-hectare speck of land in danger of sinking completely underwater.
“Scooping water takes a long time. That’s why my feet have started aching,” the 65-year-old said, adding that she can spend up to three hours a day at the task.
“I have to scoop out the water before my grandchildren wake up, or else they’ll slip on the floor. But it’s no use ... there’s still water.”
Tamayo is one of 2,500 people living in Pugad’s only village.
The island is not the only one at risk in coastal Bulacan. Parts of the province are sinking at a rate of almost 11 centimeters (4.3 inches) a year, the fastest in the Philippines, according to a study led by geologist Mahar Lagmay.
The gradual sinking, known as land subsidence, is an “alarming” phenomenon caused by the overextraction of groundwater, and exacerbated by rising sea levels due to global warming, Lagmay said.
“The rates of subsidence (on Pugad Island) are quite high,” he said, adding that while studies specific to the tiny island were lacking, existing data on surrounding areas told the story clearly.




This photo taken on August 21, 2025, shows workers unloading sandbags at a construction site outside a church on a flooded street on Isla Pugad in Hagonoy town, Bulacan province, north of Manila. (AFP)

With high tides flooding the streets at least three times a week, the sea already dictates the rhythm of daily life on Pugad.
Class schedules are adjusted daily based on tide charts to prevent children from contracting flood-borne diseases.
Homes have been raised on stilts to keep floors dry, while small business owners use high tables to keep their wares above murky water that can rise to 1.5 meters (five feet) on heavy flooding days.

‘Back to normal’ impossible

Sea levels across the Philippines are already rising three times faster than the global average of 3.6 millimeters per year, and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has said this could accelerate to 13 millimeters annually.
“Sea level rise is being experienced in many parts of the country,” DENR geosciences chief Karlo Queano told AFP, warning coastal areas could disappear without large-scale intervention.
While piecemeal efforts are in place in some areas — groundwater extraction has been banned in parts of Bulacan since 2004 — a broad national strategy has yet to take shape.
A government study on the path forward was not expected until 2028, Queano said.
“I think it’s already impossible for our lives in the village to go back to normal because of climate change,” said Pugad village captain Jaime Gregorio.
Gregorio said roads were being raised every three years to keep the community viable, but leadership changes meant the implementation of long-term flood mitigation projects was rarely consistent.
For Tamayo, who has lived on the island her whole life, the constant adjustment to the tide has drained what little money her family has scraped together.
Since 2022, they have been elevating their house each year, adding more gravel and concrete to stay above water, so far spending 200,000 pesos ($3,500).
“I love this island so much, this was where my mom and dad raised me... but sometimes, I think about leaving because of the high tide,” Tamayo told AFP.




This photo taken on August 21, 2025, shows resident Raymart Tamayo (R) and his son Rodolfo (C) walking in the kitchen of their flooded house on Isla Pugad in Hagonoy town, Bulacan province, north of Manila. (AFP)

Her boatman husband, Rodolfo Tamayo, insists their livelihood depends on staying.
“We can’t go to [other places], we won’t have jobs there. We will go hungry.”
Lagmay, the geologist, said land subsidence could be reversible with effective government policies governing the over-digging of wells.
But addressing the rise of sea levels was impossible without a concerted effort by the world’s highly industrialized countries to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, he said.
A UN climate fund established in 2023 to help countries like the Philippines address damage caused by climate change, meanwhile, remains unimplemented.
“We are talking of climate justice here. We have very little contribution to climate change, but we are very affected by its adverse effects,” said Elenida Basug, the DENR’s climate change service director.
Crouching in the doorway of her flooded home, Tamayo urged the world’s polluters to take responsibility for what she and her neighbors were experiencing.
“We are the ones who are suffering... They are rich, so we cannot do anything. Even if we speak against them, who would listen?” Tamayo said.


Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Afghan barbers under pressure as morality police take on short beards

KABUL: Barbers in Afghanistan risk detention for trimming men’s beards too short, they told AFP, as the Taliban authorities enforce their strict interpretation of Islamic law with increasing zeal.
Last month, the Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice said it was now “obligatory” to grow beards longer than a fist, doubling down on an earlier order.
Minister Khalid Hanafi said it was the government’s “responsibility to guide the nation to have an appearance according to sharia,” or Islamic law.
Officials tasked with promoting virtue “are obliged to implement the Islamic system,” he said.
With ministry officials patrolling city streets to ensure the rule is followed, the men interviewed by AFP all spoke on condition of anonymity due to security concerns.
In the southeastern province of Ghazni, a 30-year-old barber said he was detained for three nights after officials found out that one of his employees had given a client a Western-style haircut.
“First, I was held in a cold hall. Later, after I insisted on being released, they transferred me to a cold (shipping) container,” he said.
He was eventually released without charge and continues to work, but usually hides with his clients when the patrols pass by.
“The thing is that no one can argue or question” the ministry officials, the barber said.
“Everyone fears them.”
He added that in some cases where both a barber and clients were detained, “the clients have been let out, but they kept the barber” in custody.
Last year, three barbers in Kunar province were jailed for three to five months for breaching the ministry’s rules, according to a UN report.

‘Personal space’

Alongside the uptick in enforcement, the religious affairs ministry has also issued stricter orders.
In an eight-page guide to imams issued in November, prayer leaders were told to describe shaving beards as a “major sin” in their sermons.
The religious affairs ministry’s arguments against trimming state that by shaving their beards, men were “trying to look like women.”
The orders have also reached universities — where only men study because women have been banned.
A 22-year-old Kabul University student said lecturers “have warned us... that if we don’t have a proper Islamic appearance, which includes beards and head covering, they will deduct our marks.”
In the capital Kabul, a 25-year-old barber lamented that “there are a lot of restrictions” which go against his young clients’ preference for closer shaves.
“Barbers are private businesses, beards and heads are something personal, they should be able to cut the way they want,” he said.
Hanafi, the virtue propagation minister, has dismissed such arguments, saying last month that telling men “to grow a beard according to sharia” cannot be considered “invading the personal space.”

Business slump

In Afghanistan, the majority are practicing Muslims, but before the Taliban authorities returned to power in 2021, residents of major cities could choose their own appearance.
In areas where Taliban fighters were battling US-backed forces, men would grow beards either out of fear or by choice.
As fewer and fewer men opt for a close shave, the 25-year-old Kabul barber said he was already losing business.
Many civil servants, for example, “used to sort their hair a couple of times a week, but now, most of them have grown beards, they don’t show up even in a month,” he said.
A 50-year-old barber in Kabul said morality patrols “visit and check every day.”
In one incident this month, the barber said that an officer came into the shop and asked: “Why did you cut the hair like this?“
“After trying to explain that he is a child, he told us: ‘No, do Islamic hair, not English hair’.”