Indonesian president reshuffles Cabinet again in wake of deadly protests

Indonesia’s newly ministers and deputy ministers attend an inauguration ceremony at the State Palace in Jakarta on Sept. 17, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 September 2025
Follow

Indonesian president reshuffles Cabinet again in wake of deadly protests

  • Prabowo named retired Lt. Gen. Djamari Chaniago as Indonesia’s new chief security minister
  • Protests called for sweeping reforms across various institutions, including police and military 

JAKARTA: Indonesia’s president carried out a second surprise Cabinet reshuffle on Wednesday, just a week after firing five ministers following deadly anti-government protests.

At least 11 people were killed in mass protests that broke out in Jakarta in late August. Sparked by controversial allowances for lawmakers, rising living costs and inequality, the demonstrations turned violent and spread across the country after an armed police vehicle ran over and killed a 21-year-old delivery driver. 

With protesters demanding sweeping reforms across various institutions, including the police, military and House of Representatives, the demonstrations have posed the biggest challenge yet for the presidency of Prabowo Subianto, who took office last October. 

After replacing his Cabinet members last week — including well-regarded Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati — Prabowo appointed 11 new officials on Wednesday. 

“President Prabowo Subianto officially inaugurated two ministers and three deputy ministers of the Red and White Cabinet for the remainder of the 2024–2029 term,” the presidential secretariat said in a statement after the inauguration ceremony. 

Among the new appointees are Lt. Gen. (retd.) Djamari Chaniago as the new chief security minister, Erick Thohir — former state-owned enterprises minister — as the new youth and sports minister, and Ahmad Dofiri, retired police commissioner general, as a special presidential adviser for public security and order and police reform.

While the Cabinet changes since last week have been significant, some activists, including Amnesty International Indonesia’s Executive Director Usman Hamid, say the reshuffle was disconnected from the protesters’ demands.

“For example, the public has called for civil supremacy and to return the military to the barracks, but the choice of chief security minister reflects the government’s old paradigm of choosing people with a military background,” he told Arab News. 

Even the appointment of a special security adviser did not address the public’s concerns. 

“It doesn’t answer the demands of the people who are hoping that the government and House of Representatives will immediately form an independent commission to investigate the death of 11 people and other human rights violations during the protests,” Hamid said. 

“This reshuffle is nothing more than the circulation of officials among the political elites; it does not address the root issues of policies that the people were protesting against.”  


Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

MEXICO CITY: The navies of El Salvador and Mexico announced drug seizures in the Pacific Ocean this week of more than 10 tons of cocaine, in contrast to deadly strikes by the US government that just this week left 11 people dead on three boats suspected of carrying drugs in Latin American waters.
The latest announcement came Thursday, when Mexico said it had seized nearly four tons of suspected drugs and detained three people from a semisubmersible craft, 250 nautical miles (463 kilometers) south of the port of Manzanillo.
Mexican Security Secretary Omar García Harfuch said via X that the seizure from the sleek, low-riding boat with three visible motors brought the weekly total to nearly 10 tons, but he did not provide detail on the other seizures.
Mexican authorities said the seizure was made with intelligence shared US Northern Command and the US Joint Interagency Task Force South.
On Sunday, El Salvador’s navy announced the largest drug seizure in the country’s history of 6.6 tons of cocaine. The navy had intercepted a 180-foot boat registered to Tanzania, 380 miles (611 kilometers) southwest of the coast. Navy divers found 330 packages of cocaine hidden in the boat’s ballast tanks. Ten men were arrested from Colombia, Nicaragua, Panama and Ecuador.
On Thursday, Salvadoran authorities gave access to the seized ship FMS Eagle, which had just arrived in the port of La Union. More than 200 wrapped bundles were lined up on the deck.
The Trump administration has pressured Mexico to make more drug seizures over the past year. The trafficking of drugs like fentanyl was the president’s justification for tariffs on Mexican imports.
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has responded with a more aggressive stance toward drug cartels than her predecessor, that has included sending dozens of drug trafficking prisoners to the United States for prosecution.
Sheinbaum has also expressed her disagreement with strikes by the US military in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean against boats suspected of carrying drugs.
At least 145 people have been killed in those strikes since the US government began targeting those it calls “narcoterrorists” last September.
The US strikes this week included two vessels carrying four people each in the eastern Pacific Ocean and another boat in the Caribbean carrying three people. The administration provided images of the boats being destroyed, but not evidence they were carrying drugs.