PCB to decide on Asia Cup participation today amid referee row

Pakistan's Cricket Board (PCB) Mohsin Naqvi (3R) speaks with the team members during a practice session at the Dubai International Stadium in Dubai on February 22, 2025. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 17 September 2025
Follow

PCB to decide on Asia Cup participation today amid referee row

  • Green Shirts scheduled to face the UAE today under the tournament format
  • Pakistan objected to match referee Andy Pycroft’s conduct after India game

KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will decide on Wednesday whether to continue competing in the Asia Cup in the United Arab Emirates, the board said, amid an ongoing row with the International Cricket Council (ICC) over replacing a match referee at the center of a Pakistan-India handshake dispute.

The PCB lodged a complaint with the ICC earlier this week, accusing Andy Pycroft of breaching the “Spirit of Cricket” by asking the Pakistan and India captains not to shake hands at the toss during Sunday’s match, seeking his removal.

The ICC has not issued an official statement yet, though some media reports suggest it has decided not to entertain Pakistan’s request.

“The PCB has not yet taken a final decision regarding the Asia Cup,” the board’s spokesperson, Aamir Mir, said in a statement late Tuesday.

“Consultations are underway and a final decision will be made by tomorrow,” he continued. “The decision will be taken keeping Pakistan’s interest in view.”

Pakistan is scheduled to face the United Arab Emirates (UAE) at the Dubai International Stadium today, but uncertainty looms over the decision to be taken by the PCB.

The Pakistan team canceled its pre-match press conference at the Asia Cup on Tuesday, though it attended the practice session.

According to AFP, the Pakistan team is still awaiting a response from the ICC regarding its complaint.
Pakistani media, citing Press Trust of India reports that quoted an unnamed ICC source, said yesterday that the ICC informed Pakistan that Pycroft would not be replaced.

Pycroft is scheduled to be the match referee for Pakistan’s game against the UAE as well.

Pakistan will again face arch-rival neighbor India if they beat the home side in Dubai today.

The Green Shirts suffered a seven-wicket defeat to India in their last match, which was the first played since the nuclear-armed countries fought a brief but deadly conflict in May.


Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

Updated 29 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.