5 Mauritanians missing after collision of two fishing boats

An investigation into how the crash happened has been opened, according to the Mauritanian authorities. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 September 2025
Follow

5 Mauritanians missing after collision of two fishing boats

  • Twenty-one people, including three Spaniards, were saved from the Atlantic waves after the crash between the Gambia-flagged “Grey Whale” and the Mauritanian “Tafra 3” ship, a Mauritanian coast guard source said

DAKAR: Five Mauritanians were missing after two fishing boats collided off the coast of the west African country, the Mauritanian coast guard and Spanish maritime rescue service said on Saturday.
Twenty-one people, including three Spaniards, were saved from the Atlantic waves after the crash between the Gambia-flagged “Grey Whale” and the Mauritanian “Tafra 3” ship, a Mauritanian coast guard source said.
The Spanish rescuers had earlier given the name of the first boat as the “Right Whale.”

FASTFACT

Twenty-one people were saved from the Atlantic waves after the crash between the ‘Grey Whale’ and the Mauritanian ‘Tafra 3’ ship.

After the “Tafra 3” sank following the collision, five of its 26-strong crew went missing, the source and a spokesman for the Spanish maritime rescue 
service said.
“There are five disappeared people of Mauritanian nationality; three Spanish citizens have been saved,” the spokesman added.
One of the missing Mauritanians was an officer, the Mauritanian coast guard source said. A Mauritanian coast guard patrol boat was dispatched to the scene to coordinate search and rescue operations, helped by several fishing boats and a Spanish helicopter, the same source added.
An investigation into how the crash happened has been opened, according to the Mauritanian authorities. According to the Galicia region’s government, two of the three Spaniards were captains on board the ship, while the third was an engineer.

 


Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

Updated 51 min 35 sec ago
Follow

Zuckerberg says Meta no longer designs apps to maximize screentime

  • Meta Platforms CEO faces questioned at a landmark trial over youth social media addiction
  • It was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users

LOS ANGELES: Meta Platforms CEO Mark Zuckerberg pushed back in court on Wednesday against a lawyer’s suggestion that ​he had misled Congress about the design of its social media platforms, as a landmark trial over youth social media addiction continues.
Zuckerberg was questioned on his statements to Congress in 2024, at a hearing where he said the company did not give its teams the goal of maximizing time spent on its apps.
Mark Lanier, a lawyer for a woman who accuses Meta of harming her mental health when she was a child, showed jurors emails from 2014 and 2015 in which Zuckerberg laid out aims to increase time spent on the app by double-digit percentage points. Zuckerberg said that while Meta previously had goals related to ‌the amount of ‌time users spent on the app, it has since changed its ​approach.
“If ‌you ⁠are trying ​to ⁠say my testimony was not accurate, I strongly disagree with that,” Zuckerberg said.
The appearance was the billionaire Facebook founder’s first time testifying in court on Instagram’s effect on the mental health of young users.
While Zuckerberg has previously testified on the subject before Congress, the stakes are higher at the jury trial in Los Angeles, California. Meta may have to pay damages if it loses the case, and the verdict could erode Big Tech’s longstanding legal defense against claims of user harm.
The lawsuit and others like it are part of a ⁠global backlash against social media platforms over children’s mental health.
Australia has prohibited access ‌to social media platforms for users under age 16, and ‌other countries including Spain are considering similar curbs. In the US, ​Florida has prohibited companies from allowing users under age ‌14. Tech industry trade groups are challenging the law in court.
The case involves a California woman ‌who started using Meta’s Instagram and Google’s YouTube as a child. She alleges the companies sought to profit by hooking kids on their services despite knowing social media could harm their mental health. She alleges the apps fueled her depression and suicidal thoughts and is seeking to hold the companies liable.
Meta and Google have denied the allegations, and ‌pointed to their work to add features that keep users safe. Meta has often pointed to a National Academies of Sciences finding that research does not ⁠show social media changes ⁠kids’ mental health.
The lawsuit serves as a test case for similar claims in a larger group of cases against Meta, Alphabet’s Google, Snap and TikTok. Families, school districts and states have filed thousands of lawsuits in the US accusing the companies of fueling a youth mental health crisis. Over the years, investigative reporting has unearthed internal Meta documents showing the company was aware of potential harm.
Meta researchers found that teens who report that Instagram regularly made them feel bad about their bodies saw significantly more “eating disorder adjacent content” than those who did not, Reuters reported in October.
Adam Mosseri, head of Instagram, testified last week that he was unaware of a recent Meta study showing no link between parental supervision and teens’ attentiveness to their own social media use. Teens with difficult life circumstances more often said they used Instagram habitually ​or unintentionally, according to the document shown at ​trial.
Meta’s lawyer told jurors at the trial that the woman’s health records show her issues stem from a troubled childhood, and that social media was a creative outlet for her.