Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait condemn Pakistan militant attacks killing 19 soldiers

Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif (left) and Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir (third left) look at the coffin of a soldier killed in a militant attack in Bannu district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on September 13, 2025. (ISPR)
Short Url
Updated 14 September 2025
Follow

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait condemn Pakistan militant attacks killing 19 soldiers

  • Clashes between security forces, militants in northwest Pakistan killed 19 soldiers, 45 militants this week, says military
  • Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait and Qatar condemn loss of lives, pray for speedy recover of injured in Pakistan attacks

KARACHI: The foreign ministries of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Qatar and Turkiye this week condemned militant attacks in northwestern Pakistan that claimed the lives of 19 soldiers, extending condolences to the victims’ families. 

Pakistan’s military announced on Saturday that 19 soldiers and 45 militants had been killed in separate clashes this week near the country’s border with Afghanistan in northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province. 

In one of these clashes, thirteen militants affiliated with the Pakistani Taliban were killed in an encounter in the South Waziristan district, the military’s Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), adding that 12 soldiers also died in the clash. In another statement released later in the day, the military mentioned yet another incident in Lower Dir District where an intelligence-based operation on Sept. 11 led to the killing of 10 more militants. It disclosed that the shootout also led to the death of seven more soldiers. 

“The Foreign Ministry expresses the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s condemnation of the terrorist attack that targeted Pakistani soldiers in northwest Pakistan, resulting in the deaths of several people,” Saudi Arabia’s foreign ministry said in a statement on Saturday.

The UAE also strongly condemned the attack, announcing its “permanent rejection” of all forms of violence and “terrorism” aimed at undermining security and stability.

The foreign ministry of Kuwait issued a similar statement, conveying its condolences to the Pakistani government and people, wishing a speedy recovery to the injured. 

SHARIF ASKS AFGHANISTAN TO ‘CHOOSE’

After visiting wounded troops at northwestern Bannu’s Combined Military Hospital on Saturday, Sharif asked Afghanistan to “choose” between militancy and Pakistan. 

Pakistani officials frequently accuse the administration in Kabul of facilitating cross-border attacks, a charge Afghan authorities rejected, saying Pakistan’s security troubles were domestic.

“Terrorists come from Afghanistan and, together with the TTP, these khawarij join forces to martyr our soldiers, our brothers and sisters and ordinary citizens,” the Pakistani prime minister said, referring to the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan militant group. 

“Today I want to send a clear message to Afghanistan,” he added. “Choose one of two paths. If they wish to establish relations with Pakistan with genuine goodwill, sincerity and honesty, we are ready for that. But if they choose to side with terrorists and support them, then we will have nothing to do with the Afghan interim government.”

Pakistan has been struggling to contain surging militancy in KP, which borders Afghanistan, since a fragile truce between the Pakistani Taliban and the state broke down in November 2022.
The Pakistani Taliban and other militant groups have frequently targeted security forces convoys and checkpoints, as well as carried out targeted killings and kidnappings of law enforcers and government officials in recent months.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”