NAPLES, Italy: Italian boxer Angela Carini says the online abuse she’s received since her Olympic fight against Imane Khelif last year has “destroyed her career.”
Carini tearfully quit her opening bout with Khelif of Algeria at the Paris Olympics after just 46 seconds, going on to explain afterward that she took the extremely unusual decision because of the pain from her opponent’s opening punches.
On Friday, Carini published a video on Instagram with screenshots of messages she has received on social media — some begging her not to go to the Olympics again, others calling her “a coward” and “the shame of the Italy team” — and a voiceover of the 26-year-old explaining how she felt.
“Have you ever wondered how hard it was for me to face these words? What I had to endure and endure day after day? What I had to face in my silence, while preserving my health from a stupid social network, from people who speak and say words without thinking twice?” Carini said.
“Because for them it’s just a sentence, it’s just a word, it’s just fun, it’s just wanting to follow the crowd.”
Khelif won the Olympic gold amid international scrutiny on her and Taiwan’s Lin Yu-ting, another gold medal winner.
Both fighters were allowed to compete by the IOC after being disqualified from the 2023 world championships by the Russian-dominated International Boxing Association. The IBA claimed the women failed unspecified eligibility tests.
However, the IOC applied sex eligibility rules used in previous Olympics and said Khelif and Lin passed.
‘An infected wound’
Carini’s actions fueled a discussion far beyond Paris about whether Khelif should have been allowed to compete, with (then former) US President Donald Trump and Italian Premier Giorgia Meloni speaking out.
“For many it is easy to forget the past, but for me it wasn’t,” Carini continued. “That past that marked my life. That past that left wounds inside me that I try to heal day after day, but like an infected wound, it bleeds and hurts.
“That past that changed and destroyed my career, built year after year with sacrifices, dedication, tenacity and a lot of passion … That career that is underestimated and belittled by those who preferred to have a laugh for a few moments, preferred to throw the stone.”
Carini won silver medals at the world and European championships in 2019. She lost her opening fight at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
After Paris, Carini said she closed herself “in silence” with her family and “tried to rebuild (herself) in small pieces.”
Carini returned to the ring in December, winning her eighth Italian title and gold at the World Boxing Cup in Poland.
“Putting all the disappointment aside, I got back into that ring, reconfirming myself as Italian champion and bringing home medals from important international tournaments,” Carini said. “Getting back into that ring was a tough challenge.
“These words of mine will not change the world, I will not make people become kinder. But at least I invite everyone to reflect … A word, a gesture, a command can hurt and destroy a person.”
Italian boxer speaks out over online abuse since Olympic bout against Khelif
https://arab.news/6jxpj
Italian boxer speaks out over online abuse since Olympic bout against Khelif
- Carini published a video on Instagram with screenshots of messages she has received on social media — some begging her not to go to the Olympics again, others calling her “a coward”
- “Have you ever wondered how hard it was for me to face these words?”
Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout
- It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh
COLOMBO: Sahibzada Farhan hit a magnificent unbeaten century to help Pakistan seal the final Super Eight berth at the T20 World Cup with a thumping 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.
Farhan scored 100 not out off 58 balls with four sixes and 10 fours as Pakistan posted 199-3 before they routed Namibia for 97 in 17.3 overs.
Pakistan’s victory took them to six points from four games in Group A and eliminated the United States, who finished with four points.
India also have six points and play the Netherlands in the group’s final game later Wednesday.
The defending champions India, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the West Indies will play each other in the Super eights Group 1, hosted in India.
Pakistan join New Zealand, England and co-hosts Sri Lanka in Group 2, hosted in Sri Lanka.
After a morale-shattering 61-run defeat against India, Pakistan needed a victory to avoid an early exit, which was achieved with ease as spinners Usman Tariq (4-16) and Shadab Khan (3-19) tore through the Namibia batting.
Louren Steenkamp scored 23 while Alexander Busing-Volschenk was the only other batsman to reach double figures with 20.
‘Complete performance’
Skipper Salman Agha praised a clinical show.
“It is a complete performance,” said a relieved Agha.
“We batted well and Farhan anchored the innings. He has been batting well for a while and I am happy that he got his hundred.
“With the ball we were lethal.”
Namibian skipper Gerhard Erasmus admitted Pakistan’s spin bowlers were too hot to handle.
“It (spin) is a special skill to have, to turn the ball both ways like they do,” said Erasmus.
“I think that’s one of the things we’ll definitely take home and look to improve on.”
Farhan earlier blasted a six and a four off pace bowler Jack Brassell to enter the 90s before taking a single off Gerhard Erasmus to complete his hundred in the final over.
It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh.
Shadab Khan, promoted to No. 5 with Babar Azam left out, hit three sixes and a four in his 36 not out off 22 balls as Pakistan smashed 42 from the last three overs.
Farhan put on 40 for the opening wicket with Saim Ayub (14) before consolidating the innings during a 67-run second wicket stand with captain Salman Agha (38).
Pakistan also left out pace bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi after a poor show in the first three matches, including conceding 31 in two overs in the defeat against India on Sunday.
Farhan’s ton means this is the first T20 World Cup in which three centuries have been scored.
He followed Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka, who scored a hundred against Australia on Monday, and Canada’s Yuvraj Sama who reached three figures against New Zealand on Tuesday.










