Qatar PM says Israel attack ‘pivotal moment’ for region

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani addresses a press conference following Israeli strikes in Doha, Sept. 9, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 September 2025
Follow

Qatar PM says Israel attack ‘pivotal moment’ for region

  • Emir of Qatar told President Trump that his country will take all necessary measures to protect its security
  • Doha denied receiving an advance warning from the US of Israeli strikes

DOHA: Qatar’s prime minister warned his country reserved the right to respond to Israel’s deadly attack on Hamas in Doha on Tuesday, calling it a “pivotal moment” for the region.
“Qatar... reserves the right to respond to this blatant attack,” Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani told a press conference on Tuesday evening.
“We believe that today we have reached a pivotal moment. There must be a response from the entire region to such barbaric actions,” he added.
The premier said Qatar will continue trying to mediate a ceasefire and hostage release in Gaza despite Israel’s attack on a Hamas compound in Doha.
“Nothing will deter us from continuing this mediation in the region,” Sheikh Mohammed told reporters.
The Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani told US President Donald Trump in a phone call that his country will take all necessary measures to protect its security and preserve its sovereignty.
Doha denied receiving a warning from the US of Israeli strikes, saying the notification came after the attack had already started.
“Statements circulating about Qatar being informed of the attack in advance are false. The call received from an American official came as explosions sounded from the Israeli attack in Doha,” Qatari foreign ministry spokesman Majed Al-Ansari posted on X.
Qatar wrote to the UN Security Council on Tuesday that it will “not tolerate this reckless Israeli behavior and the ongoing disruption of regional security” following the strikes, which its UN Ambassador Alya Ahmed Saif Al-Thani described as “cowardly criminal assault, which constitutes a blatant violation of all international laws and norms.”
“Investigations are underway at the highest level, and further details will be announced as soon as they are available,” she added in her letter to the Security Council.

The foreign minister later said an American official contacted Qatar 10 minutes after after the attack had happened.

“The attack happened at 3:46,” he said, adding “The first call we had from an American official was at 3:56 — which is 10 minutes after the attack.”

He said he did not know when the Americans found out about the attack, or if there had been any coordination with the Israelis.

“What I know now is the official channels we have with the US got notified by the US after the attack.”


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.