UAE says Israeli annexation of West Bank would cross a ‘red line’

UAE's Minister of State within the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Khalifa Shaheen al-Marar attends an Extraordinary Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Member States of The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Jeddah on March 7, 2025. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 September 2025
Follow

UAE says Israeli annexation of West Bank would cross a ‘red line’

DUBAI: The UAE has warned Israel that any move to annex parts of the occupied Palestinian territories would cross a “red line” and destabilize the region, underscoring the UAE’s support for Palestinian statehood despite its normalization of ties with Israel in recent years.

The Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported that Khalifa Shaheen Al-Marar, a UAE minister of state, confirmed the Emirati stance on Thursday following the conclusion of the 164th session of the Council of Arab Foreign Ministers.

The rebuke had been circulating in the press after statements made by Emirati special envoy Lana Nusseibeh in a Times of Israel interview earlier in the week.

“Israel’s annexation of the West Bank or any part of the occupied Palestinian territories represents a red line, and taking such a step would undermine regional security,” Al-Marar said.

He said the Emirates were committed to protecting Palestinian rights and pursuing a two-state solution as the only viable path to a comprehensive peace.

He added that the Cairo meetings, chaired by the UAE, produced a consensus among Arab states on the urgent need to halt the war in Gaza, reject Israeli displacement policies, and prevent any attempt to erase the Palestinian cause through annexation.

“The UAE continues to deliver humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip and is proceeding, within the framework of its relations with sisterly Arab states, to find a solution that ensures halting the war and restoring stability in the Strip, followed by necessary political and humanitarian arrangements,” Al-Marar said.

The UAE normalized relations with Israel in 2020 under the US-brokered Abraham Accords, becoming the first Gulf state to formally establish diplomatic ties with the Jewish state. The move opened avenues for trade, investment, and technology cooperation, according to WAM, non-oil bilateral trade volume between the UAE and Israel reached more than $2.5 billion in 2022.

But the relationship has been complicated by Israel’s military campaigns in Gaza and the stalled peace process with the Palestinians.

Emirati officials have repeatedly balanced deepening economic and diplomatic engagement with Israel against firm rhetorical support for Palestinian rights.

In recent years, the UAE has also used its position as a regional mediator — engaging with the US, European powers, and Arab states to press for de-escalation in Gaza and for renewed international commitment to a two-state solution.

The long road to Palestinian statehood
An Arab News Deep Dive

Enter


keywords

Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

Updated 12 sec ago
Follow

Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

GAZA CITY: Discussions on Gaza’s future must begin with a total halt to Israeli “aggression,” Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace met for the first time.
“Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people’s legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination,” Hamas said in a statement Thursday.
Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.
“We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza,” Netanyahu said.
The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.
Trump said several countries, mostly in the Gulf, had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.
Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit’s American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.
Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.