KSrelief launches emergency aid to flood-ravaged families in Pakistan’s northwest

The video shared by KSrelief on Septmeber 3, 2025, shows flood-affected families carrying relief kits in Pakistan's northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province. (KSrelief)
Short Url
Updated 03 September 2025
Follow

KSrelief launches emergency aid to flood-ravaged families in Pakistan’s northwest

  • The Saudi aid agency plans to deliver food and non-food items across the worst-hit KP districts
  • Official statistics show monsoon death toll at 881, with KP accounting for more than half at 488

ISLAMABAD: The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) has started distributing emergency relief packages to flood-affected families across the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, the organization said in a statement on Wednesday, as more rains may lash the region in the coming days.

According to Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), a total of 881 people have died since the monsoon began on June 26, with KP accounting for more than half of the deaths at 488.

The crisis in KP was driven in part by cloudbursts that began on Aug. 15 and triggered flash floods and landslides, affecting several districts. Buner was the worst hit, where the unprecedented rains claimed over 200 lives in a single day and caused widespread devastation.

“Aid is being delivered across the hardest-hit districts, including Buner, Swat, Shangla, Battagram, Mansehra, Dir Upper, Dir Lower, Swabi and other impacted areas,” KSrelief said in a statement. “In response to the crisis,

KSrelief has allocated 10,000 Shelter NFI [non-food item] Kits and 10,000 Food Packages.”

It said that each shelter kit includes a tent, solar LED lighting, thermal blankets, plastic mats, kitchen sets, water coolers and antibacterial soap.

“Each Food Package, weighing 95 kilograms, includes wheat flour, sugar, lentils, and cooking oil — carefully tailored to meet the urgent nutritional needs of flood-affected families,” it added.

The Saudi aid agency is distributing these items in collaboration with the NDMA, KP’s Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), the Relief, Rehabilitation & Settlement Department (RR&SD) and local implementing partners including the Hayat Foundation and the Peace and Development Organization, ensuring smooth and transparent delivery to the most vulnerable communities.

It said the Kingdom’s assistance reflects its firm commitment to supporting Pakistan in this humanitarian crisis.


Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

Updated 29 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan killed over 80 militants in strikes on TTP camps in Afghanistan — official

  • Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy
  • The Afghan Taliban authorities accuse Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the airstrikes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s airstrikes in Afghanistan destroyed seven Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) camps and killed over 80 militants, a Pakistani security official said on Sunday, with the Afghan Taliban accusing Pakistani forces of killing civilians in the assault.

Saturday’s airstrikes followed a series of attacks inside Pakistan amid a surge in militancy. Authorities say the attacks, particularly in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, were carried out by the TTP and allied groups that Islamabad alleges are operating from sanctuaries in Afghanistan. Kabul denies this.

According to Pakistan’s information ministry, recent incidents included a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad, separate attacks in Bajaur and Bannu, and another recent incident in Bannu during the holy month of Ramadan, which started earlier this week. The government said it had “conclusive evidence” linking the attacks to militants directed by leadership based in Afghanistan.

“Last night, Pakistan’s intelligence-based air strikes destroyed seven centers of Fitna Al-Khawarij TTP in three provinces of Nangarhar, Paktika and Khost, in which more than eighty Khawarij (TTP militants) have been confirmed killed, while more are expected,” a Pakistani security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Arab News.

An earlier statement from Pakistan’s information ministry said the targets included a camp of a Daesh regional affiliate, the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), which claimed a suicide bombing at an Islamabad Shiite mosque that killed 32 people this month.

In an X post, Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said Pakistani forces had violated Afghan territory.

“Pakistani special military circles have once again trespassed into Afghan territory,” Mujahid said. “Last night, they bombed our civilian compatriots in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, martyring and wounding dozens of people, including women and children.”
 
The Afghan Taliban’s claims of civilian casualties could not be independently verified. Pakistan did not immediately comment on the allegation that civilians had been killed in the strikes.

In a post on X, Afghanistan’s foreign ministry said it had summoned Pakistan’s charge d’affaires to Afghanistan Ubaid-ur-Rehman Nizamani and lodged protest through a formal démarche in response to the Pakistani military strikes.

“IEA-MoFA (The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs) vehemently condemns the violation of Afghanistan’s airspace and the targeting of civilians, describing it as a flagrant breach of Afghanistan’s territorial integrity & a provocative action,” it said in a statement.

“The Pakistani side was also categorically informed that safeguarding Afghanistan’s territorial integrity is the religious responsibility of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan; henceforth, the responsibility for any adverse consequences of such actions will rest with the opposing side.”

Tensions between Islamabad and Kabul have escalated since the Afghan Taliban returned to power in 2021. Pakistan says cross-border militant attacks have increased since then and has accused the Taliban of failing to honor commitments under the 2020 Doha Agreement to prevent Afghan soil from being used for attacks against other countries. The Taliban deny allowing such activity and have previously rejected similar accusations.

Saturday’s exchange of accusations marks one of the most direct confrontations between the two neighbors in recent months and risks further straining already fragile ties along the volatile border.