Pakistan allocates $108 million to close Utility Stores in drive to reform state enterprises

A Pakistani man carries a bag of flour after receiving the flour from the utility store in Karachi on June 12, 2008. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 28 August 2025
Follow

Pakistan allocates $108 million to close Utility Stores in drive to reform state enterprises

  • Approved funds will cover severance, dues and closure costs of USC
  • USC assets, including real estate, to be sold within current financial year 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s top economic decision-making body on Thursday approved a Rs30.216 billion ($108 million) funding package to wind down the Utility Stores Corporation (USC), a state-run retail chain that has long been a financial drain on the national exchequer. 

The Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) of the Cabinet, chaired by Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb, said the plan would allow for the orderly closure of USC while covering severance payments, employee compensation and outstanding dues.

“The decision represents a major step in responsibly addressing the longstanding financial burden of USC on the national exchequer, while also safeguarding the interests of employees affected by the closure,” the finance division said in a statement.

“By approving severance, compensation and payment of outstanding dues, the Government is ensuring that workers receive their entitlements, thereby cushioning the social and economic impact of USC’s winding up.”

The ECC said the Ministry of Industries and Production would rationalize closure costs and that USC assets, including real estate, would be sold within the current financial year to partially offset liabilities.

“The approved financial package underscores the Government’s commitment to protecting employees’ welfare while ensuring fiscal discipline in the winding down of USC’s operations,” the Finance Division statement added.

The decision marks a significant step in Pakistan’s efforts to reform state-owned enterprises, many of which face chronic losses. The closure of USC comes as Pakistan enforces fiscal discipline under a $7 billion IMF program approved in September 2024.

Established by the government in 1971, the corporation has a nationwide chain of retail outlets that provide essential commodities to the general public at prices lower than those in the open market.

The corporation took over 20 retail outlets at the beginning but now operates 6,000 stores across the country. The government allocated Rs65 billion ($229.7 million) to subsidize the products sold by the retail chain in the last fiscal year.

USC has struggled with inefficiencies, corruption scandals and mounting subsidies for years, with consumers complaining of substandard merchandise being sold and staff accused of vending subsidized products in the open market.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”