Weibo Gaming win Teamfight Tactics tournament at Esports World Cup 2025

It was a game too far for Virtus.pro, who had taken down both EWC 24 grand finalists on the way to the final game. With their well-earned title as giant slayers coming into the final, Weibo Gaming were up for their challenge. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 16 August 2025
Follow

Weibo Gaming win Teamfight Tactics tournament at Esports World Cup 2025

  • Chinese champions bounce back from EWC 2024 disappointment with first major tournament win

RIYADH: Weibo Gaming have won the Teamfight Tactics tournament at the Esports World Cup 2025 following a 3-1 victory over Virtus.pro in the grand final. Along with the trophy, Weibo Gaming won $150,000 from the $500,000 prize pool.

Weibo Gaming were unbeaten on their way to the grand final after missing out at the quarterfinal stage last year. They beat EWC 2024 finalists T1 on the opening day before sweeping aside Team Vitality to win their group. In the playoffs stage they took down EVOS Esports 2-0 and AEGIS 2-1. The grand final saw the format shift to best of five, and Weibo Gaming defeated Virtus.pro 3-1.

It was a game too far for Virtus.pro, who had taken down both EWC 24 grand finalists on the way to the final game. With their well-earned title as giant slayers coming into the final, Weibo Gaming were up for their challenge.

The grand final provided a great display of tactical play. Weibo Gaming set the marker down in round one with a dominant victory. Virtus.pro reversed the tide to secure a game for themselves in round two. Round three saw the teams forced into a 1v1, and despite leading, Virtus.pro were not able to clinch the win. On match point, Weibo Gaming held on to convert the game into victory.

Yao Chuanheng said: “I am incredibly excited. It’s been a long road for everyone. We’ve done so much, we’ve put in so much work to prepare for this, and we’ve finally done it. So, thank you; thank you to everyone. We are the champions.”

Yin Shengjie was named the Sony MVP (most valuable player), having led the line for his team throughout the event. He won an additional $10,000 and the MVP medal to recognize his achievements.

He said: “I believe this MVP prize doesn’t belong to me alone, but to every single one of Weibo Gaming.”

Weibo Gaming now earn 1,000 Club Championship points to take them up two places to eighth in the table with 1,950 points. The club will be represented in just one more title, Street Fighter 6 in week seven of EWC 25, which means they will need another solid result to climb further up the table. They are, however, out of contention to win the Club Championship.

The second-place finish was huge for the hopes of Virtus.pro as it took them to fourth in the standings and moved them to within just 200 points of Team Vitality in third place.

The loss is Virtus.pro’s third second-place finish this year, which could prove crucial come the end of the Esports World Cup as they will need to lift at least one trophy to be eligible to win the Club Championship. However, with four rosters still due to complete, they still have a decent chance.

Team Liquid, Team Falcons, Team Vitality, Virtus.pro, and Twisted Minds make up the top five in the Club Championship standings at present, and all have a chance at the top prize.

Natus Vincere, currently 23rd in the standings, also have a shot with the remaining games they are competing in. With the clock ticking down, everything is still on the line.

The Esports World Cup continues until Aug. 24 with tournaments across multiple titles, including Crossfire, Counter Strike 2 and Street Fighter 6. 

For more information and tickets, visit esportsworldcup.com. 

The event concludes with the New Global Sport Conference, which is being held at the Four Seasons Hotel Riyadh from Aug. 23-24. NGSC 2025 aims to foster dialogue, drive collaboration, and shape the future of competitive entertainment. For more information and tickets, visit newglobalsportconference.com. 


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.