UAE jiu-jitsu athletes claim three medals at World Games Chengdu 2025

Saeed Al-Kubaisi (center) clebrates winning gold for the UAE at the World Games Chengdu 2025. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 12 August 2025
Follow

UAE jiu-jitsu athletes claim three medals at World Games Chengdu 2025

  • Competiton is a global showpiece for sports yet to be included in the Olympic Games

CHENGDU: Three UAE Jiu-Jitsu National Team athletes have succeeded in winning medals on the second day of the World Games Chengdu 2025.

Saeed Al-Kubaisi claimed gold in the under-85kg division after a series of strong bouts against opponents from Portugal, South Korea and Saudi Arabia. Mehdi Al-Awlaki won silver in the under-77kg division, while Mohammed Al-Suwaidi earned silver in the under-69kg division.

Considered a global showpiece for sports yet to be included in the Olympic Games, the 12th World Games, which runs in the Chinese city from Aug. 7-17, features nearly 5,000 athletes from 118 countries competing across 34 sports, making it one of the most prominent international sporting events.

Mohamed Salem Al-Dhaheri, vice chairman of the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation, said: “Jiu-jitsu in the UAE has proven its excellence and its ability to succeed at every opportunity, supported by the sport’s continued growth and the achievements of our national team on both continental and global stages. Our athletes have consistently made the nation proud in regional and international arenas, and today’s result is even more significant given the presence of top-ranked competitors from around the world. This success is the result of the federation’s ongoing efforts and initiatives to prepare our athletes to perform at the highest level.”

Gold medallist Al-Kubaisi said: “I entered the championship confident in my ability to win gold, as it’s the natural result of the hard work and intensive training we’ve put in over recent months. I want to thank the UAE Jiu-Jitsu Federation for the support they have given us, helping us reach this stage and make our mark at a global event of this scale.”

Meanwhile, Al-Awlaki said: “The final was tough, but I never gave up and kept pushing until the last second because my goal was gold. I’m happy to take silver in such an important championship, and I’m confident there is more to come.”

On Tuesday, Emirati athletes will compete in the open weight division, with Al-Awlaki, Al-Kubaisi and Al-Suwaidi in the men’s category, and Asma Alhosani, Shamsa Al-Amri and Shamma Al-Kalbani in the women’s category.


Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

Updated 58 min 52 sec ago
Follow

Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

  • Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16

DUBAI: Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16.
Russian teenager Andreeva, who received a first-round bye, will face either German Ella Seidel or Romanian Jaqueline Cristian for a quarter-final place after Daria Kasatkina pulled out with a hip injury.
In-form Czech youngster Sara Beljek, who won a title in Abu Dhabi earlier this month, also withdrew with an abdominal injury, handing Bencic a spot in round three.
American fourth seed Pegula cruised through with a 6-4, 6-0 thrashing of Varvara Grachev and will next play compatriot Iva Jovic.
The tournament in Dubai, one of the 10 WTA 1000 competitions, has been severely hit by the withdrawals of world number one Aryna Sabalenka and six-time Grand Slam champion Iga Swiatek.
Second seed Amanda Anisimova had also been given a walkover on Monday after her second-round opponent Barbora Krejcikova pulled out.
Later Tuesday, American Coco Gauff starts her campaign against Russian Anna Kalinskaya.