Pakistan asks world to take ‘decisive action’ after Israeli strike kills civilians in Gaza

Mourners march with the bodies of the Al Jazeera journalists who were killed in an overnight Israeli strike on their tent in Gaza City, from Al-Shifa hospital to their burial at the Sheikh Radwan cemetery in Gaza City on August 11, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 August 2025
Follow

Pakistan asks world to take ‘decisive action’ after Israeli strike kills civilians in Gaza

  • An Israeli strike on Saturday killed 34 people, including over a dozen civilians waiting for aid, Gaza’s civil defense agency said
  • Islamabad reiterates its support of Palestinian people, calls for a just, sustainable and peaceful resolution of Palestine issue

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Monday condemned a recent Israeli airstrike that killed several civilians in Gaza, demanding the world take “decisive action” to hold the Jewish state accountable.

The statement came two days after Gaza’s civil defense agency said at least 34 people, including more than a dozen civilians who were waiting to collect aid, were killed by Israeli fire.

Pakistan’s Foreign Office said the country strongly condemns the Israeli airstrike and extends its condolences to families of the victims, reaffirming its unwavering solidarity with the Palestinian people.

“This egregious attack constitutes yet another serious violation of international humanitarian and human rights law, underscoring the scale and severity of the crimes perpetrated by the occupying power,” it said in a statement.

“The Government of Pakistan calls upon the international community to take immediate and decisive action to end Israeli impunity, ensure the protection of civilians, and hold Israel accountable for its actions.”

Hours before the statement, a prominent Al Jazeera journalist, who had previously been threatened by Israel, was killed along with four colleagues in an Israeli airstrike on Sunday in an attack condemned by journalists and rights groups.

“Anas Al Sharif and his colleagues were among the last remaining voices in Gaza conveying the tragic reality to the world,” Al Jazeera said.

More than 61,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since Israel began pounding the territory on Oct. 7, 2023, following a Hamas attack on Israel, according to the Palestinian health ministry.

The Foreign Office once again reiterated Pakistan’s support for the Palestinian cause and called for a just, sustainable and peaceful resolution of the Palestine issue, in line with the relevant Security Council resolutions that uphold the rights and dignity of the Palestinian people.

“This includes the establishment of an independent, sovereign, viable, and contiguous Palestinian State, based on the pre-June 1967 borders, with Al-Quds Al-Sharif as its capital,’ it added.
 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”