Liverpool’s Alexis Mac Allister in contention for Crystal Palace match after recovering from injury

The 26-year-old Mac Allister’s last competitive game was against Arsenal on May 11. He missed the Premier League champion’s last two games of the season. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 August 2025
Follow

Liverpool’s Alexis Mac Allister in contention for Crystal Palace match after recovering from injury

  • The Argentina international missed some of Liverpool’s preseason preparations when recovering from injury

LIVERPOOL: Alexis Mac Allister will be in Liverpool’s squad for Sunday’s Community Shield match against Crystal Palace.
The Argentina international missed some of Liverpool’s preseason preparations when recovering from injury. But he played in the last two friendlies against Yokohama F. Marinos and Atletico Madrid and will be in contention to play some part of the game against Palace at Wembley, coach Arne Slot said.
“He was out for two months I think, or longer because we didn’t play him in the last four games of the season. He trained with us since a week now, played 30 minutes, 45 minutes,” Slot said Friday. “So that’s not a situation where you would start a player... play him for 90 minutes. Starting is possible but definitely not for 90 minutes.”
The 26-year-old Mac Allister’s last competitive game was against Arsenal on May 11. He missed the Premier League champion’s last two games of the season.
Last month the midfielder said his absence was due to a series of issues, rather than one specific injury.
“It’s hard to explain because it’s not just one spot that you say, ‘OK, we have to focus on this,’” Mac Allister said. “It’s like two or three different things that I’ve been struggling (with) for a couple of months.
“At the end, we found the solution; we have been working a lot in the gym, on my structure.”
Liverpool defender Joe Gomez has been ruled out of the match with a “minor” injury, Slot said.


PSG’s mental strength hailed as they come from behind to win at Monaco

Updated 59 min 26 sec ago
Follow

PSG’s mental strength hailed as they come from behind to win at Monaco

  • The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters

MONACO: Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the ​Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.
The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.
But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on ​to ‌secure ⁠a ​one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.
“Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Luis Enrique said.
“It was catastrophic. It’s impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.
“After that, it’s difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we ​missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we’ve played here, this is only the second time we’ve won, which shows how difficult it is.”
The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.
“I’m happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”
Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn’t run.”
The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I’m happy with the result. ​But the match in ​Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.