Pakistan issues fresh safety alert as monsoon rains persist, death toll tops 300

Motorists drive through a flooded road caused by heavy monsoon rain in Lahore, Pakistan on July 23, 2025. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 07 August 2025
Follow

Pakistan issues fresh safety alert as monsoon rains persist, death toll tops 300

  • Flash flood warnings issued for vulnerable areas in Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan
  • Over 160 deaths reported in Punjab alone as heavy rains continue across the country

ISLAMABAD: Authorities in Pakistan on Thursday urged citizens to exercise caution as monsoon rains continued across the country, warning of more downpours in the coming 24 hours in Punjab and other parts of the country.

The ongoing rainfall comes amid a season of severe weather that has already caused widespread damage. Since June 26, at least 303 people have died in rain-related incidents nationwide, including 164 in the eastern Punjab province, according to disaster management officials.

“We request citizens to take precautionary measures during the monsoon season,” Irfan Ali Kathia, Director General of Punjab’s Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA), said in a statement. “Keep children away from streams, low-lying areas, rivers and canals and strictly avoid swimming during rainfall.”

The PDMA said that the sixth spell of the monsoon system is expected to subside later on Thursday, but rain is still likely in most districts of the province.

It informed water levels in major rivers — including the Indus, Chenab, Jhelum, Ravi and Sutlej — remained at normal levels, and no immediate flood threat was reported.

In its latest fact sheet, PDMA reported 582 people injured, 216 homes damaged, and 121 livestock losses in the current season.

It also said financial assistance was being provided to affected families in various districts.

Meanwhile, the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) issued a flash flood alert a day earlier for the Kashmir region and Gilgit-Baltistan, citing forecasts of intense rainfall in mountainous areas.

Vulnerable districts, including Neelum Valley, Skardu and Hunza, were asked to remain on high alert and identify evacuation routes in case of sudden water surges.

The NDMA urged residents to avoid crossing flooded roads and low bridges and recommended moving vehicles, livestock and valuables to safer ground.

Authorities said that emergency monitoring and coordination with provincial and district administrations were continuing to ensure a timely response to any worsening conditions.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”