Reports: LAFC agree to terms with Tottenham for Son Heung-Min

Tottenham Hotspur’s Brennan Johnson, left, celebrates with his teammate Son Heung-min after scoring a goal against Newcastle United during the pre-season friendly match at Seoul World Cup Stadium in Seoul, South Korea, Aug. 3, 2025. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 05 August 2025
Follow

Reports: LAFC agree to terms with Tottenham for Son Heung-Min

  • LAFC will pay a transfer fee of around $26 million, GiveMeSport and ESPN reported
  • Son, 33, announced over the weekend that he planned to leave Tottenham

LONDON: Son Heung-min, who spent 10 seasons with Tottenham Hotspur and stars for the South Korea national team, has a deal in place to join Los Angeles FC, according to multiple reports.

LAFC will pay a transfer fee of around $26 million, GiveMeSport and ESPN reported, which would break the Major League Soccer record of $22 million that Atlanta United paid to acquire Emmanuel Latte Lath last offseason.

Son, 33, announced over the weekend that he planned to leave Tottenham, saying he achieved everything that he could with the North London club and he was interested in a new challenge.

Tottenham faced Newcastle United in a friendly in Seoul, which served as Son’s farewell match. He received a standing ovation and a guard of honor and said he had “a huge respect and am very grateful” to his old club.

Son scored 172 goals and added 94 assists in 451 matches for Tottenham across all competitions, with 127 coming in Premier League play. A team captain, he helped the Spurs win the 2025 Europa League for the first major trophy of his career.

He previously played in Bundesliga for Hamburger SV and Bayer Leverkusen.

Son has also scored 51 goals in 134 matches for South Korea, the country’s second-leading goal-scorer of all time. Son played in the past three World Cups.

In LAFC — who also acquired defender Ryan Porteous from Watford on Monday — Son is joining a decorated MLS team that’s vying for another playoff berth. Los Angeles (10-6-6, 36 points) is sixth in the Western Conference.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.