Authorities declare 37 GB villages ‘calamity-affected’ as Pakistan monsoon death toll nears 300

This handout photograph released on July 22, 2025 by the Government of Gilgit-Baltistan shows Pakistan's army soldiers helping visitors to evacuate the landslide hit area in Babusar, Gilgit-Baltistan region. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 01 August 2025
Follow

Authorities declare 37 GB villages ‘calamity-affected’ as Pakistan monsoon death toll nears 300

  • Torrential rains have continued to wreak havoc across Pakistan since June 26
  • Gilgit-Baltistan disaster authorities say initial assessment of losses underway

ISLAMABAD: Authorities have declared 37 villages in Pakistan’s northern Gilgit-Baltistan (GB) region “calamity-affected” after cloud burst-induced floods in the region, with the nationwide monsoon death toll nearing 300.

Torrential rains have continued to wreak havoc across Pakistan since June 26, claiming 295 lives, according to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). The deceased include 138 children, while the NDMA said 700 people have also been injured.

In GB, Diamer, Skardu, Gilgit and Ghizer were among the districts worst hit by rains and floods this week, with human, livestock, property, infrastructure and crop losses. The situation has prompted authorities to launch immediate relief activities in these areas.

“Khalti upwards road is submerged due to flood,” the National Disaster Management Authority said. “Flash flood/cloudburst incident occurred in Ishkoman Ghizer, 100+ families were preemptively relocated to neighboring villages as a precautionary measure.”

It said an initial assessment of losses was underway.

More rains with isolated heavy falls are expected in Gujranwala, Lahore, Sahiwal, Multan, DG Khan and Bahawalpur divisions, according to the NDMA. Isolated thunderstorms could also hit Islamabad and northeast Balochistan as well as Rawalpindi, Sargodha and Faisalabad divisions.

Pakistan, which ranks among the world’s most climate-vulnerable nations, has witnessed increasingly erratic weather events in recent years.

In May, at least 32 people were killed in severe storms, while a third of the country was submerged by devastating floods in 2022 that killed more than 1,700 people, affected over 30 million and caused an estimated $35 billion in damages.


Pakistan to face New Zealand today in T20 World Cup Super Eight encounter in Colombo

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan to face New Zealand today in T20 World Cup Super Eight encounter in Colombo

  • The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions AustraliaThe second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia
  • Zimbabwe, who did not qualify in 2024, top Group B with a stunning unbeaten campaign

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will take on New Zealand in their T20 World Cup Super Eight stage clash in Colombo on Saturday, with both sides looking to strengthen their chances of reaching the knockouts.

The second phase of the T20 tournament kicks off without former champions Australia, who shockingly failed to make it out of their group. Instead, Zimbabwe, who did not even qualify in 2024, topped Group B after a stunning unbeaten campaign where they not only beat Australia but also co-hosts Sri Lanka.

Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, head coach Mike Hesson said on Friday. Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The match is scheduled to start at 6:30pm Pakistan time.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup... We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end,” Hesson said.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that...He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” he said. “To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”