Piastri takes pole for Belgian GP sprint race ahead of Verstappen

McLaren’s Oscar Piastri during practice Formula One F1 — Belgian Grand Prix — Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Stavelot, Belgium — July 25, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 25 July 2025
Follow

Piastri takes pole for Belgian GP sprint race ahead of Verstappen

  • Verstappen was driving for the first time since Red Bull dismissed former boss Christian Horner two weeks earlier
  • Frenchman Laurent Mekies took his place on the pit wall

SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium: Series leader Oscar Piastri secured pole position for Saturday’s sprint race at the Belgian Grand Prix when he beat Red Bull’s Max Verstappen by 0.477 seconds with a devastating record lap in his McLaren.

The 24-year-old Australian, who leads the drivers’ championship by eight points ahead of McLaren team-mate Lando Norris, clocked a fastest lap in 1min 40.510sec on Friday to seize the prime starting position.

He was six-tenths of a second faster than Norris who was third ahead of Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, Esteban Ocon of Haas, Carlos Sainz of Williams and Oliver Bearman in the second Haas.

Pierre Gasly was eighth for Alpine ahead of Racing Bulls’ rookie Isack Hadjar and Sauber’s Gabriel Bortoleto while seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton wound up in 18th place after spinning his Ferrari in SQ1.

“That was a good lap!” said Piastri. “I had a scare in SQ2 with the deletion of my lap, but the car has been mega all day so thanks to the team. The car is great.”

Piastri’s success helped him erase his disappointment at the British Grand Prix where he was handed a 10-second penalty and felt he missed out on a victory as Norris won to trim his lead in the title race.

Verstappen, in his first race weekend since the exit of team boss Christian Horner, said he was satisfied with P2.

“To be there between the two of them is a good result for us,” he said. “And I enjoyed it out there and the lap was good. The gap is big, so we have to focus on ourselves and the balance of the car.”

The session began in bright and breezy conditions at the majestic old circuit in the Ardennes, soon after new Red Bull boss Laurent Mekies had made his first public appearance after replacing Horner.

As expected, the Frenchman told a news conference his priority was to secure the future of Verstappen.

He also revealed he had been as shocked as everyone else when he received the news of Horner’s exit and the job offer.

“It came in a completely unexpected way,” he said. “It came out of the blue and I asked for time to think about it before I realized ‘this is Red Bull’ and so I rang them back.”

As the sprint qualifying began, Verstappen remained in the garage while mechanics worked on his car. It was a minor delay and he was soon on track as Kimi Antonelli spun off at Stavelot in his Mercedes and returned via a deep run in the gravel trap.

The Italian was followed by Hamilton who had a big slide off at Stavelot, just managing to stay out of the gravel before going off again at the chicane — a mechanical problem on his Ferrari wrecking his lap and session.

At the top, Verstappen managed to split the two McLarens as he had during the morning practice ahead of Fernando Alonso and George Russell.

The two McLarens were first out for SQ2, Piastri once again setting the pace before his lap was deleted because he exceeded track limits at Raidillon, leaving Norris on top.

The Australian had to go again as the rest joined the fray, led by Verstappen and Leclerc.

A frantic finale ensued with Norris clocking a late fastest lap ahead of Verstappen and Leclerc while Piastri squeezed through in 10th.

The Melbourne-native then produced a stunning third lap to secure pole for the following day.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.