Pakistan cuts Karachi port charges by 50% in climate-focused maritime reform push

In this handout photo, taken and released by Karachi Port Trust, a container ship sits docked at the Karachi Port in Karachi on May 29, 2024. (Photo courtesy: KPT/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 July 2025
Follow

Pakistan cuts Karachi port charges by 50% in climate-focused maritime reform push

  • Government says efficient port cuts vessel idle time, fuel use and supports greener supply chains
  • Pakistan also aims to cut container dwell time by 70% using AI and drone-based port monitoring

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Muhammad Junaid Anwar Chaudhry on Saturday announced a 50% reduction in Karachi Port charges, in a move aimed at cutting trade logistics costs and promoting climate-resilient, low-emission shipping practices.

The reform is part of a broader strategy to modernize Pakistan’s maritime sector and reduce its carbon footprint, as the country works to align trade infrastructure with global environmental standards.

“By lowering operational costs and streamlining logistics, we are not only boosting trade competitiveness but also contributing to climate resilience,” Chaudhry said in a statement issued by his office.

The new measures include halving charges related to port handling, vessel services and storage while scrapping a previously planned annual five percent fee hike.

Officials say the move is expected to benefit exporters of dry bulk goods and reduce emissions by improving port turnaround times and easing congestion.

“This isn’t just a financial measure,” Chaudhry added. “It’s a pivot toward low-impact, future-ready maritime trade. A more efficient port reduces idle time for vessels, lowers fuel consumption and supports greener supply chains.”

Karachi Port is one of Pakistan’s largest and busiest deep-water seaports, handling a significant share of the country’s import-export traffic.

Officials say the reforms will enhance the port’s efficiency while positioning it as a regional hub for climate-conscious maritime activity.

The announcement follows recent steps by the ministry to improve logistics and infrastructure, including the formation of a high-level committee to reduce container dwell times by 70%, and the deployment of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and drones for port monitoring.


Rain delays Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash in Colombo

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Rain delays Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash in Colombo

  • Pakistan won the toss and opted to bat before showers halted play
  • Fakhar Zaman returns as both teams seek early advantage in Group 2

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Super Eights clash against New Zealand at the Twenty20 World Cup was delayed by rain in Colombo on Saturday after captain Salman Ali Agha won the toss and elected to bat first.

The Group 2 encounter at the R. Premadasa Stadium marks the start of the tournament’s second phase for both sides, with Sri Lanka and England also in the group. The match was scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. Pakistan time, but persistent showers prevented the start of play.

“Rain delays the start of the match,” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said in a post on X.

Pakistan made one change from their final group-stage fixture, recalling Fakhar Zaman in place of Khawaja Nafay. New Zealand brought back regular captain Mitchell Santner along with Ish Sodhi and Lockie Ferguson.

Earlier in the week, Pakistan sealed their place in the Super Eights with a 102-run win over Namibia after posting 199-3, while New Zealand also advanced after finishing second in their group.

The second phase of the tournament began without former champions Australia, who failed to qualify, while Zimbabwe topped Group B with an unbeaten campaign.

With rain continuing in Colombo, officials were monitoring conditions to determine whether a shortened contest would be possible.

A washout would see both teams share points, potentially affecting semifinal calculations in the tightly contested group.

With input from AP