Pakistan plans to slash container dwell time at ports by 70% to boost trade efficiency

Shipping containers are seen at the Karachi Port in Karachi, Pakistan, on June 10, 2025. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 08 July 2025
Follow

Pakistan plans to slash container dwell time at ports by 70% to boost trade efficiency

  • Government forms committee to identify bottlenecks, recommend faster cargo clearance measures
  • It aims to deploy drones, AI to ensure real-time monitoring of vessel docking and container movement

KARACHI: Pakistan plans to cut container dwell time at its seaports by up to 70% to improve trade competitiveness and ease congestion, according to an official statement by the Ministry of Maritime Affairs on Tuesday, which also announced the formation of a committee to present recommendations within ten days.

The initiative is part of the government’s broader efforts to modernize its port infrastructure and position Pakistan as a regional trade and transit hub.

Islamabad is working to increase the efficiency of its ports in Karachi and Gwadar as it seeks to expand connectivity with global markets, including plans to launch a ferry service to Gulf countries and encourage landlocked Central Asian states to use Pakistani ports for access to international sea lanes.

The announcement to reduce the dwell time followed a meeting chaired by Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Muhammad Junaid Anwar Chaudhry at the Federal Board of Revenue headquarters with senior officials from Pakistan Customs, Karachi Port Trust and other relevant bodies.

“Minister Junaid Chaudhry emphasized that reducing dwell time is not merely an administrative change, but a strategic move to enhance port efficiency, lower logistics costs and strengthen Pakistan’s standing in the regional trade and logistics landscape,” the statement said.

He also announced the formation of the committee and tasked its members with identifying procedural bottlenecks and proposing measures to expedite cargo clearance.

Currently, container dwell time at Pakistani ports averages around a week. The government’s target is to reduce this to just two days, following directives from Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.

To support implementation, the Ministry of Maritime Affairs will establish a dedicated monitoring room to oversee real-time container movements. 

“Drones and AI technology will also be deployed to monitor vessel docking operations through to the container’s exit from the terminal,” the minister said during the meeting.

He noted that persistent delays in container release impose additional costs on importers and exporters, diminishing Pakistan’s competitiveness in international markets.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.