Six killed as residential building collapses in Pakistan’s Karachi

Rescuers search for victims in the rubble of a collapsed five-storey residential building in Karachi on July 4, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 July 2025
Follow

Six killed as residential building collapses in Pakistan’s Karachi

  • Lyari incident underscores frequent building failures in megacity plagued by poor construction oversight
  • More than 80 killed in Karachi building collapses since 2020, Sindh Building Control Authority data shows

KARACHI: At least six people were killed on Friday when a multi-storey residential building collapsed in the southern Pakistani city of Karachi, police said, the latest in a series of deadly structural failures in the country’s largest metropolis.

Local media reported the building, located in Karachi’s densely populated Lyari neighborhood, housed several families and multiple residents were still believed to be trapped under the rubble.

Television footage showed volunteers and rescue workers digging through the debris for survivors.

“So far, six bodies have been recovered from the debris, while several people are still trapped underneath. Rescue operations are currently ongoing,” Arif Aziz, a senior superintendent of police, told Arab News.

There was no immediate comment from the Sindh Building Control Authority (SBCA) — which regulates construction in the city — on whether the building had previously been declared unsafe.

Karachi, home to over 20 million people, has long faced a crisis of unregulated urban expansion, with illegal construction, aging infrastructure and weak enforcement contributing to frequent building collapses.

According to the SBCA’s own reports and official data published in local media, more than 80 people have been killed in building collapses in Karachi since 2020, including incidents in Gulbahar, Lyari, Qur’angi, Shah Faisal Colony and North Nazimabad.

In one of the worst such disasters in recent years, a five-storey residential building collapsed in Lyari’s Koyla Godam area in June 2020, killing at least 25 people and injuring dozens. In April 2024, a three-storey structure came down in North Nazimabad, killing one person and wounding four others. In October 2023, a building collapse in Shah Faisal Colony left five dead.

Despite repeated tragedies, officials have been criticized for failing to crack down on unsafe buildings and prosecute those responsible for unauthorized or substandard construction.

The SBCA has previously stated it lacks resources to inspect thousands of buildings across Karachi, while citizens have alleged widespread corruption and political interference in the issuance of permits.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”