Turkiye detains 120 opposition officials including former mayor

Turkish authorities on Tuesday detained a former mayor and dozens of municipality officials in the western city of Izmir over alleged corruption, extending a crackdown against the country’s main opposition party. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 01 July 2025
Follow

Turkiye detains 120 opposition officials including former mayor

  • Police detained 120 officials from the opposition Republican People’s Party, including former Izmir Mayor Tunc Soyer
  • The Izmir Public Prosecutor’s Office issued arrest warrants against 157 officials

ANKARA: Turkish authorities on Tuesday detained a former mayor and dozens of municipality officials in the western city of Izmir over alleged corruption, extending a crackdown against the country’s main opposition party.

Police detained 120 officials from the opposition Republican People’s Party, or CHP, including former Izmir Mayor Tunc Soyer and the party’s provincial leader Senol Aslanoglu, state-run Anadolu Agency said.

In total, the Izmir Public Prosecutor’s Office issued arrest warrants against 157 officials as part of an investigation into alleged rigging of municipality tenders and fraud, it added.

Officials from CHP-controlled municipalities in Istanbul and elsewhere have faced waves of arrests this year, including Istanbul’s Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu who was arrested in March over allegations of corruption. His arrest triggered the largest street protests Turkiye has seen in more than a decade.

Imamoglu is regarded as the main challenger to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s 22-year rule and was officially nominated as his party’s presidential candidate following his imprisonment. Turkiye’s next election is due in 2028 but could come sooner.

Many people in Turkiye consider the cases to be politically driven, according to opinion polls. But Erdogan’s government insists the courts are impartial and free from political involvement.

The crackdown comes a year after the CHP made significant gains in local elections.


5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

5 bodies of migrants washed ashore in east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, police officer says

TRIPOLI: At least five ‌bodies of migrants including two women have been washed ashore in َQasr Al-Akhyar, a coastal town in the east of Libya’s capital Tripoli, ​a police officer told Reuters on Saturday.
Hassan Al-Ghawil, head of investigations at the Qasr Al-Akhyar police station, said that according to people in the area, a child’s body washed ashore and because of the waves’ height the body returned to the sea, and the coast guard was asked to search for ‌it.
Ghawil said the ‌bodies are all dark-skinned people. ​The bodies ‌were ⁠found ​on Emhamid ⁠Al-Sharif shore in the western part of the town by people who reported to the police station.
Libya has become a transit route for migrants fleeing conflict and poverty to Europe across the Mediterranean since the fall in 2011 of dictator Muammar Qaddafi to a ⁠NATO-backed uprising. Factional conflict has split the ‌country into western and eastern ‌factions since 2014.
Qasr Al-Akhyar is a ​coastal town some 73 ‌kilometers (45 miles) east of Tripoli.
Pictures were posted on the ‌Internet, and also seen by Reuters, showing the bodies of the migrants lying on the shore, where some were still within black inflatable lifebuoys.
“We reported to the Red Crescent ‌to recover the bodies,” said Ghawil. “The bodies we found are still intact and we ⁠think there ⁠are more bodies to wash ashore.”
Earlier this month, fifty-three migrants, including two babies, were dead or missing after a rubber boat carrying 55 people capsized off the coast of Zuwara town in western Tripoli, the International Organization for Migration said.
Last week, a UN report said migrants in Libya, including young girls, are at risk of being killed, tortured, raped or put into domestic slavery, calling for a moratorium on ​the return of migrant boats ​to the country until human rights are ensured.