Barcelona announce Camp Nou return for August 10

After suffering several delays since beginning in 2023, the project dubbed ‘Espai Barca’ is due to finish in the summer of 2026 and boost the Camp Nou’s capacity to 105,000. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 June 2025
Follow

Barcelona announce Camp Nou return for August 10

  • The traditional pre-season Joan Gamper Trophy match will only mark the stadium’s partial reopening
  • Barca will have another month to continue work on the new Camp Nou stadium

BARCELONA: Barcelona announced on Wednesday their long-awaited return to the new Camp Nou for an August 10 friendly after years of work to expand and modernize the iconic stadium.

The traditional pre-season Joan Gamper Trophy match will only mark the stadium’s partial reopening, with construction work continuing in various areas, the current Spanish champions said in a statement.

This includes the completion of the new third tier, the dual VIP ring, the roof installation, interior spaces and development of the stadium’s surrounding area.

The Catalan giants have not confirmed the initial capacity, but local media reported that the available stands can hold 35,000 fans.

“Barcelona takes a symbolic and emotional step into the future, reclaiming its home in a new era that will culminate with the complete inauguration of the new stadium,” the club said.

Barca will have another month to continue work on the stadium after requesting to play their first three La Liga games of the upcoming season away from home.

After suffering several delays since beginning in 2023, the project dubbed “Espai Barca” is due to finish in the summer of 2026 and boost the Camp Nou’s capacity to 105,000.

Barcelona have in the meantime played their home games at the smaller Montjuic Olympic stadium.


Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

Updated 58 min 52 sec ago
Follow

Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

  • Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16

DUBAI: Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16.
Russian teenager Andreeva, who received a first-round bye, will face either German Ella Seidel or Romanian Jaqueline Cristian for a quarter-final place after Daria Kasatkina pulled out with a hip injury.
In-form Czech youngster Sara Beljek, who won a title in Abu Dhabi earlier this month, also withdrew with an abdominal injury, handing Bencic a spot in round three.
American fourth seed Pegula cruised through with a 6-4, 6-0 thrashing of Varvara Grachev and will next play compatriot Iva Jovic.
The tournament in Dubai, one of the 10 WTA 1000 competitions, has been severely hit by the withdrawals of world number one Aryna Sabalenka and six-time Grand Slam champion Iga Swiatek.
Second seed Amanda Anisimova had also been given a walkover on Monday after her second-round opponent Barbora Krejcikova pulled out.
Later Tuesday, American Coco Gauff starts her campaign against Russian Anna Kalinskaya.