Lebanon’s economy to benefit from World Bank’s $250m recovery boost

The project follows a phased approach to address response, recovery, and reconstruction, focusing on prioritizing and sequencing interventions to achieve maximum economic and social impact in the shortest possible time. Reuters
Short Url
Updated 25 June 2025
Follow

Lebanon’s economy to benefit from World Bank’s $250m recovery boost

JEDDAH: Lebanon’s battered infrastructure and strained public services are set for a boost, as the World Bank has approved $250 million to launch a broader $1 billion recovery and reconstruction initiative.

In a statement on Wednesday, the World Bank announced that its board of executive directors had approved the funding a day earlier under the Lebanon Emergency Assistance Project.

The project follows a phased approach to address response, recovery, and reconstruction, focusing on prioritizing and sequencing interventions to achieve maximum economic and social impact in the shortest possible time.

“The Rapid Damage and Needs Assessment of the impact of the conflict in Lebanon between Oct. 8, 2023, and Dec. 20, 2024, estimated total direct damages across 10 sectors at $7.2 billion, and reconstruction and recovery needs at $11 billion,” the bank said in its press release.

It added that around $1.1 billion in damage had been sustained by key infrastructure and facilities vital to public well-being and economic activity. Affected sectors include transportation, energy, water, healthcare, education, and municipal services.

“Considering the scale of needs, the LEAP was designed to support restoration of public infrastructure and buildings, given this is a precondition to economic and social recovery,” the release explained.

According to a separate World Bank report released earlier this month, Lebanon’s cumulative gross domestic product had contracted by nearly 40 percent since 2019. Meanwhile, the Lebanese pound has lost more than 98 percent of its value, driving triple-digit inflation through 2023.

The study highlighted how the collapse of the banking sector and the currency’s crash turned Lebanon into a dollarized, cash-based economy worth $9.8 billion — about 45.7 percent of GDP in 2022.

“The conflict has introduced another shock to Lebanon’s already crisis-ridden economy. While the economic contraction was anticipated to bottom out in 2023, following five years of sustained sharp contraction, the conflict and its spillovers have had negative knock-on effects on economic growth in 2023, continuing into 2024,” the report said.

It further noted that since July 2023, the Lebanese pound has stabilized at 89,500 to the US dollar, which helped bring inflation down to double digits in 2024 for the first time since March 2020, following three consecutive years of triple-digit inflation.

Lebanon’s Prime Minister Nawaf Salam welcomed the news on social media, writing on his X account: “I welcome the World Bank Board’s approval of the $250 million Lebanon Emergency Assistance Project, which represents a key step toward reconstruction by addressing damage to critical infrastructure and essential services in areas affected by the conflict.”

He added that the assistance reinforces national recovery efforts within a government-led implementation framework and paves the way for attracting further much-needed financing.

Jean-Christophe Carret, the World Bank’s Middle East division director, said: “Given Lebanon’s large reconstruction needs, the LEAP is structured as a $1 billion scalable framework with an initial $250 million contribution from the World Bank and the ability to efficiently absorb additional financing — whether grants or loans — under a unified, government-led implementation structure that emphasizes transparency, accountability, and results.”

Carret noted that the framework offers a credible platform for development partners to align their support with Lebanon’s reform agenda and amplify the impact of long-term recovery efforts.

According to the statement, the financing will enable immediate interventions to fast-track recovery and return to normalcy. This includes the safe and efficient handling of rubble to maximize recycling and reuse.

To ensure timely implementation, the government has undertaken key reforms within the project’s implementing body, the Council for Development and Reconstruction, the statement said.

It added that LEAP will be carried out under the strategic guidance of the prime minister’s office, with coordination across relevant ministries through the Council of Ministers. The Ministry of Public Works and Transport will oversee project implementation, while the Ministry of Environment will monitor environmental and social compliance, including rubble management.


PIF’s Humain invests $3bn in Elon Musk’s xAI prior to SpaceX acquisition

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

PIF’s Humain invests $3bn in Elon Musk’s xAI prior to SpaceX acquisition

JEDDAH: Humain, an artificial intelligence company owned by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, invested $3 billion in Elon Musk’s xAI shortly before the startup was acquired by SpaceX.

As part of xAI’s Series E round, Humain acquired a significant minority stake in the company, which was subsequently converted into shares of SpaceX, according to a press release.

The transaction reflects PIF’s broader push to position Saudi Arabia as a central hub in the global AI ecosystem, as part of its Vision 2030 diversification strategy.

Through Humain, the fund is seeking to combine capital deployment with infrastructure buildout, partnerships with leading technology firms, and domestic capacity development to reduce reliance on oil revenues and expand into advanced industries.

The $3 billion commitment offers potential for long-term capital gains while reinforcing the company’s role as a strategic, scaled investor in transformative technologies.

CEO Tareq Amin said: “This investment reflects Humain’s conviction in transformational AI and our ability to deploy meaningful capital behind exceptional opportunities where long-term vision, technical excellence, and execution converge, xAI’s trajectory, further strengthened by its acquisition by SpaceX, one of the largest technology mergers on record, represents the kind of high-impact platform we seek to support with significant capital.” 

The deal builds on a large-scale collaboration announced in November at the US-Saudi Investment Forum, where Humain and xAI committed to developing over 500 megawatts of next-generation AI data center and computing infrastructure, alongside deploying xAI’s “Grok” models in the Kingdom.

In a post on his X handle, Amin said: “I’m proud to share that Humain has invested $3 billion into xAI’s Series E round, just prior to its historic acquisition by SpaceX. Through this transaction, Humain became a significant minority shareholder in xAI.”

He added: “The investment builds on our previously announced 500MW AI infrastructure partnership with xAI in Saudi Arabia, reinforcing Humain’s role as both a strategic development partner and a scaled global investor in frontier AI.”

He noted that xAI’s trajectory, further strengthened by SpaceX’s acquisition, exemplifies the high-impact platforms Humain aims to support through strategic investments.

Earlier in February, SpaceX completed the acquisition of xAI, reflecting Elon Musk’s strategy to integrate AI with space exploration.

The combined entity, valued at $1.25 trillion, aims to build a vertically integrated innovation ecosystem spanning AI, space launch technology, and satellite internet, as well as direct-to-device communications and real-time information platforms, according to Bloomberg.

Humain, founded in August, consolidates Saudi Arabia’s AI initiatives under a single entity. From the outset, its vision has extended beyond domestic markets, participating across the global AI value chain from infrastructure to applications.

The company represents a strategic initiative by PIF to diversify the Kingdom’s economy and reduce oil dependence by investing in knowledge-based and advanced technologies.