Wimbledon plan to honor Murray with statue

Andy Murray of Britain poses with the trophy after defeating Novak Djokovic of Serbia in the men’s singles final match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, Jul. 7, 2013. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 24 June 2025
Follow

Wimbledon plan to honor Murray with statue

  • Wimbledon hope the statue will be revealed in 2027
  • “He’s got to rightly be very involved in that and him and his team will be,” Jevans said

LONDON: Wimbledon organizers are planning to honor two-time champion Andy Murray with a statue at the All England Club.

Murray, who ended a 77-year wait for a British winner of the men’s singles title in 2013 before winning again in 2016, retired after the Paris Olympics last year.

Wimbledon hope the statue will be revealed in 2027 during the championship’s 150th anniversary.

“We are looking to have a statue of Andy Murray here (Wimbledon) and we’re working closely with him and his team,” All England Club chair Debbie Jevans told the ainslie + ainslie Performance People podcast.

“The ambition is that we would unveil that at the 150th anniversary of our first Championship, which was 1877.

“He’s got to rightly be very involved in that and him and his team will be.”

A bronze statue of Fred Perry, the last British men’s champion before Murray, was erected at Wimbledon in 1984 to mark the 50th anniversary of his first singles championship.

Tennis greats John McEnroe and Billie Jean King are among those that have previously called for Murray to be honored in similar fashion at Wimbledon.


Boxing great Floyd Mayweather to come out of retirement — again

Updated 24 sec ago
Follow

Boxing great Floyd Mayweather to come out of retirement — again

  • Floyd Mayweather is set for an ‌exhibition bout ‌with fellow boxing great ‌Mike ⁠Tyson
Former multi-weight ‌world boxing champion Floyd Mayweather will come out of retirement this year for his first official fight in nearly a decade, his new promotion CSI Sports/Fight Sports said on Friday, though his opponent has yet to be decided.
Before his official return, Mayweather is set for an ‌exhibition bout ‌with fellow boxing great ‌Mike ⁠Tyson, with the ⁠date and venue still to be announced.
“I still have what it takes to set more records in the sport of boxing — from my upcoming Mike Tyson event to ⁠my next professional fight afterwards — ‌no one ‌will generate a bigger gate, have a ‌larger global broadcast audience and ‌generate more money with each event — than my events,” Mayweather, 48, said in a statement on his new promotion’s website.
It ‌will mark the American’s fourth comeback from retirement, following ⁠previous ⁠exits in 2007, 2015 and 2017 — the last after beating Conor McGregor to extend his record to 50-0. He has, however, fought several exhibitions since.
Across a three-decade career, Mayweather defeated many of his era’s top fighters and headlined the three highest-grossing bouts in history, against Manny Pacquiao, McGregor and Canelo Alvarez.