Djokovic hints at possible Roland Garros farewell after semifinal loss to Sinner

Serbia’s Novak Djokovic has appeared in the last 21 editions of the French Open – lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires in 2016, 2021 and 2023. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 07 June 2025
Follow

Djokovic hints at possible Roland Garros farewell after semifinal loss to Sinner

  • ‘This could have been the last match ever I played here, so I don’t know’
  • Djokovic has appeared in the last 21 editions of the French Open, winning in 2016, 2021 and 2023

PARIS: Novak Djokovic suggested he may well have bidden adieu to Roland Garros after the 38-year-old was defeated in the semifinals by Jannik Sinner on Friday.

Following his 6-4, 7-5, 7-6 (7/3) loss to world number one Sinner, Djokovic stopped briefly on his way off Court Philippe Chatrier and took a moment to “show his gratitude” to the Paris crowd.

“This could have been the last match ever I played here, so I don’t know. That’s why I was a bit more emotional even in the end,” said three-time champion Djokovic.

“But if this was the farewell match of Roland Garros for me in my career, it was a wonderful one in terms of the atmosphere and what I got from the crowd.

“Not the happiest because of the loss, but, you know, I tried to show my gratitude to the crowd, because they were terrific.”

Djokovic has on occasion had a fraught relationship with the Parisian public, but hailed the backing he received against Sinner.

“I don’t think I have ever received this much support in this stadium in my career in big matches against the best players in the world. So very, very honored to experience that,” he added.

However, the Serb allayed fears he would be calling time on his career just yet.

He stills stands on the brink of history after his latest tilt at a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title was foiled.

One more major victory would take him beyond Margaret Court and into outright-first on the list of players with the most Grand Slams.

“At the moment I will try to stick with the plan what I had, which is play the Grand Slams,” he said.

“Those tournaments are the priorities of my schedule, my calendar. Wimbledon and US Open, yes, they are in plans. That’s all I can say right now.

“I’m going to, unless something, I don’t know, happens, whatever. But I feel like I want to play Wimbledon, I want to play US Open. Those two, for sure. For the rest, I’m not so sure.”

Despite the latest setback, Djokovic insisted he still has the record in his sights and hoped it will be seventh time lucky when Wimbledon starts on June 30.

“Obviously Wimbledon is next, which is my childhood favorite tournament. I’m going to do everything possible to get myself ready,” he said.

“I guess my best chances (of winning) maybe are Wimbledon, you know, to win another Slam, or faster hard court, maybe Australia or something like that.”

Djokovic has won the title at Wimbledon seven times and is the most dominant men’s player in the history of the Australian Open with 10 victories in Melbourne.

When asked how long he had been considering his future at Roland Garros, Djokovic cryptically replied: “Not long. You know, I don’t know.

“I don’t know really what tomorrow brings in a way at this point in my career. You know, I going to keep on keeping on.”

Djokovic has appeared in the last 21 editions of the French Open – lifting the Coupe des Mousquetaires in 2016, 2021 and 2023.

Last summer, he secured the only big title to have eluded him through the majority of his career when he won Olympic gold on center court at Roland Garros.

“We hope that it’s not the case, because I feel like tennis needs him in a way,” said Sinner when told of Djokovic’s comments.

“He said ‘maybe’, so you never know.”


Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Guardiola hails Man City’s ‘massive’ win over Newcastle

  • Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Pep Guardiola labelled Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Newcastle on Saturday as a “massive” moment in the Premier League title race.
Guardiola’s second-placed side closed the gap on leaders Arsenal to just two points with their tense victory at the Etihad Stadium.
Nico O’Reilly put City ahead in the first half and restored the lead before half-time after Lewis Hall had equalized.
City weren’t at their best in the second half, but they held on to pile pressure on spluttering Arsenal, who travel to Tottenham for the north London derby on Sunday.
Guardiola knew it was essential to make Arsenal sweat.
“Massive. Newcastle is an incredible team, awesome in physicality and speed they have up front. Physicality in the middle. Really tough but the team was unbelievable,” he said.
“It’s coming in best part of the season. Every single game will be similar to today.”
After finishing without a trophy last season, City are back in the hunt for the seventh English title of Guardiola’s reign.
They will have a game in hand on Arsenal after this weekend and are guaranteed to win the title if they win their last 11 league matches.
Guardiola has embarked on an expensive overhaul of City’s squad in the last 12 months, shedding aging stars like Kevin De Bruyne, Ederson and Kyle Walker and bringing in the likes of Marc Guehi, Antoine Semenyo and Rayan Cherki.
The Spaniard is well aware that his new generation largely lacks the experience of winning under the pressure of a title race, which made their gritty success against Newcastle even more meaningful.
“70 percent of the players have never been in that situation, and I don’t play. So we have to live it, they know that every game will be like this,” he said.
“Especially at home, with five home games left. Today was the best crowd of the year, it was unbelievable with our people, really proud to be manager of these incredible people and fans.
“Of course in terms of points it’s important, but we have to improve to have chance to compete until the end. Now we deserve three more days off. Then another battle in Leeds.”
Guardiola singled out O’Reilly for praise after the young England midfielder’s pair of clinical finishes showed he won’t be affected by the strain of chasing Arsenal.
“Nico give us in the middle that physicality that we need. He now plays in his position,” he said.
“He has always played that, he is so complete and so young. I am really pleased the academy produced these incredible players, Nico, Phil (Foden), Rico (Lewis).”